1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newsroom -- Season 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I quoted my post by mistake instead of modifying so I'm an imbecile too.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The ultimate wedding "story."

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-new-york-times-vows-column-on-will-mcavoy-and-mackenzie-mchales-newsroom-wedding/

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

With 2 alumni from The Office on The Newsroom last night and with the Jim Harper playing and resembling Jim Halpert it made want to see an episode of The Office, as written by Aaron Sorkin.

Come On HBO, isn't nudity required? Grace Gummer makes me sweat a bit

She's Meryl Streep's daughter.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This AV Club comment pretty much nails Sorkin's fake debate about old media and new media. And I say this as an old media guy. Jim got some LOL lines "I send a signal up into space every night; tell me again how I'm afraid of your Samsung Galaxy" but the debate Sorkin is pretending to have is bogus. Even Sam and Ainsley had more honest debates about guns than Sorkin's having about the media.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. John

John Well-Known Member

The number of characters I like on the show is down to one or two, which makes me wonder why I still bother watching.

And who was putting that night's show together while everyone important spent the afternoon preparing for and attending the wedding?

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Really liked the way they handled the wedding, with Cranky Old Boss Guy recruiting musicians.

The debates on media between Idealistic Young Dude and Streep Daughter Who Only Worked at ACN So She Could Get Fired And Give Us Forced Drama were quite limp. The Office Guy Who was Also In Inglorious Basterds was describing something more akin to "Citizen Journalism" than sensible engagement through social media. And those ideas were trampled over before Obama was president.

Wanted to hurt HR guy every time he showed up until they threw a curveball by noting that he was just messing with Sort of Slimy Producer Guy and Olivia Munn.

Still, it is eminently watchable. After hate-watching much of the first season - and then again after The Drummer Lady from Scott Pilgrim eavesdropped on a train conversation this season and acted like she was in the right - I think I'll actually miss it. At the least, I wish this season had 10 episodes and I'll binge re-watch after it's over.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sorkin stacked the deck in the Jim v Hallie fights by having her report on the Will story and then having her write her personal story about them.

I really didn't like this episode after enjoying the first 3.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

OH MY GOD! New Media killed Charlie!
    [​IMG]

You Bastards!

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

So is the cellmate a figment of Will's imagination or some gov't plant trying to get the name out of him?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Check out the last picture Will pulls off the wall and you shall have your answer.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Saw that one coming but not Will's cellmate

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

WOW! I totally swung and missed on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted