1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newsroom -- Season 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 10, 2014.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You could tell they wrapped up S2 in such a way that they weren't sure there would ever be a third season.

I can see how the preachy, high-browness of it all can grate some people the wrong way. Still, they set that tone 2 minutes into the show's debut, so it wasn't like they were trying to hide it.

And, lastly, I love Sam Waterson.... and now he's allowed to scream and liberally drop f-bombs. Bonus.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. I like the show and while I'm happy it returned for a final season, part of me was rooting for Sorkin to refuse simply because the final episode of season two would have worked so well as a series finale.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The reporter having an allergic reaction to walnuts just before going on the air (thereby leaving the producer to sub for him, and apparently finding a new career path) was a nice callback to the West Wing episode where Josh had to do the briefing for C.J. after she had root canal, except with the opposite result.

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

thought the same thing.

And Sam Waterston is tremendous as Charlie Skinner.

5. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Due to the production values, the actors' commitment and the spectacle of seeing Sorkin present The Ultimate Perfect People in The Ultimate Perfect Newsroom Get The News Right and Just Be Better Overall Than Everyone Else, the show has a certain watchability.

But really, it's "Journalism" appeals to two types of people:

- People who have never really worked in a newsroom of any kind, and who adore Sorkin's work, thus eating right up the idea of him going back and solving all the world's problems
    - Journalists who need to feel like what they do is The Most Important Thing In The World, even though they never had the chance to produce some truly impactful work.

As I said, very watchable show, despite the first season's many, MANY flaws. But ultimately depicting a smarmy utopia in which Jeff Daniels' character is introduced as having just gone on holiday with Erin Andrews.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The journalism on Sports Night was better and less Sorkin perfect. The coupling of the two main characters on Newsroom has been much much better.

Still wish I could work for someone like Isaac, Sam Waterston is incredible on Newsroom but his character isn't quite Isaac.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really want to like the show. But as soon as Mac, while talking in Will's office about their wedding, can immediately spot the explosion at the Boston Marathon on one of 50 screens out of the corner of her eye from 25 yards away, I mentally checked out. I hate the Allison Pill character and her hangdog want to be boyfriend.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I had the same reaction to the Mac / Wedding / Marathon scene. And I agree with you about Allison Pill. The Sorkin dialogue makes me laugh. People don't talk that way, and life at work for most people -- no matter what you do -- isn't endless drama. I don't nitpick it, because the series is what it is, and I'll watch it till the end, but I do laugh a lot as I am watching -- and in the unintentional comedy way.

Getting back to Mac and Maggie. ... Add Sloan, too. The show treats women as absolute cartoon characters. Think about Mac. She began the series as the hardened foreign correspondent who has covered wars. In this episode, she was reduced to the bride-to-be obsessing over Vera Wang bridesmaid dresses. Really?

The Sloan character annoys me more than any. She is idiotic. I hate saying it, cause I have a crush on the actress. But it's been hard separating the stupidity of the character, and the dumb dialogue she has to recite. One thing, from this episode. ... Nobody gets that excited over a Bloomberg terminal, and honestly, what kind of a news outlet that big wouldn't have already had one (or 25) in 2013? They are sophisticated enough to pay someone a salary to troll twitter and social media, but they never thought that a Bloomberg terminal might be a good resource? Are they going to discover LexisNexis next week?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu, I completely agree about the Sloan character (and the actress). She's an economics whiz who is excited about a Bloomberg terminal? It's like a writer wondered onto a trading floor for the first time and was wowed by the fancy lights.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I love the fact that Wil McAvoy and Harry Dunne are played by the same actor.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Apparently only SIX episodes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/arts/television/the-newsroom-enters-its-final-season.html

So they'll be knockin' off those peripheral side storylines in a big hurry.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm watching because...well, that's what I do to shows I start...dammit.

I thought it was a good start, but yeah, it's going to go fast. Seems like the news aspect of the show is going to be tossed to the side.

Draft saved Draft deleted