1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newsroom -- Season 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Anyone still watching this? This is the final season, right?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Final season.

They need to bring in Lou Grant and Mary Richards because no show in my recent memory takes itself more seriously and less self-aware than The Newsroom.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm still watching and enjoying, though I can certainly understand why the show pisses some people off.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

If that gone-viral clip of the Jeff Daniels screed was a measuring stick, this series jumped the shark as soon as the boat was launched. Did it ever get better?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I thought about watching it last night, but then remembered I missed a few episodes from Season 1 and all of 2, so I didn't bother.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the season premiere. I think I like the actors. Not so sure about the show anymore.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's the way I've felt since the beginning. I was hate watching it by the end of the first season and dropped it early in the second. I may finish it up sometime because it isn't that many episodes and I like to complete things, but female characters especially were just maddening and they are almost all actresses that have been great in everything else they've done. Sorkin is either great or terrible, there's no middle ground with him.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Last night's show was very good in showing how the 'twitterverse' in many ways is fueled by utter bullshit.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I enjoy the snappy Sorkin-y dialogue. I don't like much of the high browing too serious journalism stuff it tries to say but I try not to let it bother me too much. Some of the characters are starting to lose me too now. I thought some of the ssn3 premiere seemed promising and some of it was mediocre.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They are trying to tie up a leftover storyline from S2 and launch 2-3 new ones for S3, so they have to snap off a lot of witty dialogue in a hurry.

Also, this season is only going to be 8 episodes, right? So some of those new storylines are going to have to come and go pretty quickly.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This guy's mom got it right more than wrong.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-newsroom-mother/

The show does work if you like what it's selling. Some of us do.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Eight episodes. Seems like the rumors were true. Sorkin didn't really want to come back and that was all they could talk him into writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted