1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newspaper List

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

AP has kept track of some of the daily newspapers that have reduced publication days since last year.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003956666

2. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

They need to add Surry Messenger in North Carolina -- dropped to SU-W-F after being a five-day a week daily ...

3. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

That's a hell of a list. I expect it to quadruple (or more) before end of calendar year.

4. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Considering how many small dailies in Ohio have cut out a day, maybe I should feel lucky mine hasn't.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The manufacturing heartland of America tells out in that list, doesn't it?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Midwest got hammered.

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Notice all of those Ohio newspapers that have dropped a day? They're all owned by Brown. What can Brown do for you? Ha!

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I once saw an ad for a j job in Dyersburg. Paid $12,000 with as the ad said, "excellent benefits." And this was about 2-3 years ago.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's interesting that it's some of the smaller dailies that are dropping days. Wonder how many have cut staff? I wouldn't think the two would have to go hand-in-hand. You could just give everyone the same day off each week instead of having to rotate.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Good Lord. NYT owned them years ago. I wonder if any folks from that era are left.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Isn't that list missing a rather large newspaper in Colorado? One that reduced publication days from six to zero?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There have been rumblings at my paper about dropping a day, and if they do, judging by the recent tiny page count and skimpy ad content of the last few Mondays, it will probably be that day.

There go the Cowboys for us, unless they play a Monday nighter. Forget any NFL coverage unless they give us an extra page on Tuesday to run two-day-old agate.

That's why I think if they're going to pull the trigger on this, it will be very soon so readers can get accustomed.

Draft saved Draft deleted