1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The News-Sentinel-Fort Wayne, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Illinoissportseditor, Oct 9, 2008.

1. JB20

JB20 Member

I went for an interview at the Journal-Gazette about 10 years ago and never heard another word. Not by phone, e-mail or letter. It's OK, though. Fort Wayne sucked.

2. Elbert Starks

Elbert Starks New Member

Hello, all.

I don't normally like to jump into these boards and discuss these sorts of topics -- and, to be blunt, with individuals who don't use their real names, yet don't have a problem discussing others -- but I did want to explain something:

It's not a "lack of class" that prompts employers not to specifically call candidates back and explain why they were not offered a position with a company. There are various other factors.

EDIT: Also, after checking, our Human Resources department does notify candidates after a job selection process is completed, by mail. I realize that I will not find out who posts what on this forum, but if someone wasn't notified as was claimed, I could check and see if the mailing went out. Yes, I understand why that isn't going to happen.

If anyone who has applied for a position with The News-Sentinel would call and ask the status of their application, they would be informed of that, or whether the position has been filled. But it's not a "lack of class" that someone wasn't informed. If a candidate wants to check and see where they are in the process, they are more than welcome to do so.

Also, for the record: The News-Sentinel and Journal Gazette do share a building with separate newsrooms and are in a joint operating agreement, no different than Detroit's operation. The newspaper is as healthy as any in this industry. If interested, feel free to follow the application process; we would like to make a decision soon, but we haven't closed the application process yet.

3. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

I can top that, but in a metro.
    90-minute phone interview. Brought to town for 2-day interview where I met with sports editor, managing editor and editor. Had dinner with sports editor. Spent the night in hotel. Next day lunch with ME and news editor.
    Went home, a week later had another 90-minute phone interview.
    Then read on this board where someone else got the job.
    Never heard from them again.

4. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Speaking for myself, the only reason I'd like to know if I didn't get a job is so I can simply move on. Too many times, job seekers put their lives on hold, waiting to see if that next big opportunity is about to happen, only to be blown off with complete disregard. I guess I'm supposed to figure it out after a couple of weeks when I don't receive a call or a simple e-mail stating the employer moved on.

Sure, it sucks to find out you didn't get a particular gig, but to know the truth sits well a lot better than not knowing why. The truth is all I seek. Any way, just my 2 cents. I could be wrong ... I usually am.

5. JB20

JB20 Member

There is a huge difference between just applying and not hearing anything and actually interviewing in person somewhere and never hearing from them again.

If I go for an interview and don't hear back, that's just shitty on their part. It is a lack of class. Then again, in all these years, that only happened at Fort Wayne.

6. I've been to Fort Wayne twice.

That was enough.

7. Fixed that for you, ol' Elbert.

8. Elbert Starks

Elbert Starks New Member

Thanks for the help. I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight, right? Considering we know each other so well and all -- BTW, I enjoyed Season 3 the most, "Detective."

With that wit of yours, I'm sure you are quite the impressive candidate. Perhaps if you had the character to leave your real name on your work, you'd get a few more calls returned.

9. Elbert Starks

Elbert Starks New Member

I've explained our policy; I'm sorry it's not good enough for those who feel slighted by the process; best of luck to all those who are seeking work at this time.

But I have little-to-no desire to engage in message board back-and-forth with individuals who work in a profession where we ask people to go on the record, yet when convenient, those who appear most ready to complain about "a lack of class" hide behind ridiculous screen names while taking their shots.

I believe very strongly in my newspaper and my employer, and how we conduct business. Not everyone can be hired, and there is no perfect way to conduct a job search for those who are not selected. Again, best of luck for those who are searching for work.

10. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

The way this business is going, forget about luck, I'm going to need a freakin' miracle to keep the job I've got now, let alone get a new one.

And I kind of like my ridiculous nickname ...

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just for that, I'm not going to recommend a good hammock store to you.

Just a quick note on your comment about being free to call to check on your application. A lot of times, employers put NO CALLS PLEASE at the bottom of the job notice.

Oh and on your way out the door, could you kill a couple people? I'd greatly appreciate it.

12. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

If you go in for an interview, you should get at bare minimum a letter stating the position has been filled. When I decided to get out of the biz and started applying for jobs, every single interview I went on where I didn't get the position gave me a call, emailed me or sent me a letter. How hard is it to send a freaking email? I have no interest in your explanations for treating people poorly Mr. Starks.

Joe Genzel

Draft saved Draft deleted