1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The News-Sentinel-Fort Wayne, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Illinoissportseditor, Oct 9, 2008.

1. isn't there a JOA in place?

Isn't the paper a union shop?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

As far as I know there is a JOA in place. I also think that one of the papers are unionized.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Congrats, Drip, on hitting the big 1K!

[​IMG]

4. I think the Ogden owned paper in unionized. There was - emphaiss on WAS - talk of a possible strike.

5. Pallister, do you know what happened to the sports editor who is leaving. I totally forgot his name. I interviewed with him last year and my impression was he seemed like a good guy to work with.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Elbert Starks is moving back over to news to be the metro editor, from what I hear.

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Elbert Starks is a fantastic name for a Hoosier. Really. I can't think of a better state for someone named Elbert Starks to be from. It's perfect. I like it.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Elbert Starks is moving from sports to become the metro editor.

PM me with questions. I know this place.

9. GVLakerGuy

GVLakerGuy Member

Can you tell me why they never called to tell me I didn't get the gig when I interviewed there a couple years ago? Yes, Starks seemed like a good guy, but I thought not even a "thanks but we're going with someone lese" was low class.

10. NDub

NDub Guest

No. I can't tell you because I don't know.

11. cubman

cubman Member

Couldn't tell you that, but Jaworski from the Journal-Gazette did the same thing to me probably four or five years ago. It's a total lack of class but unfortunately it's the norm in this business.

12. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

I love it when a paper calls you, keeps you on the phone for almost an hour, tells you how much they like your stuff and even hints of setting up a face-to-face interview in the very near future ... only to never call you again. Then, after a week or two, you zip off an e-mail to find out what happened and get no response at all.

Me, bitter? Nah!

I'm not referring to the Journal-Gazette, by the way ...

Draft saved Draft deleted