1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The news from Hartford

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cool... Thanks man... :D

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Is there a chance the paper is looking to get rid of the older, more expensive writers and brining in younger writers at a cheaper price? Because otherwise, this move makes zero sense.

3. Mizzougrad96

Not these days... I agree it makes zero sense. Nothing makes sense about this business anymore.

4. PSF

PSF New Member

I am a Sox fan who has always lived in CT...and canceled my Courant subscription about a year ago when they pulled Dom Amore off of the Yankees beat and put him on 'features'.

That's right; I'm a Sox fan who canceled his paper because of what happened to a Yankee writer.

For years, I always recommended the Courant to people for what I thought was the best Sox/Yanks coverage...because it had a beat writer for each team, and those writers didn't seem to get caught up in the same bias that may affect the hometown writers. Now, not so much.

The other main reason I dropped the Courant is that there is very little local coverage of my town/area...which I get loads of in the Norwich Bulletin. Sure, they use the AP for Sox/Yanks...but at least I get news about my area now.

5. Mizzougrad96

So they go from traveling with two baseball teams to covering neither?

Dear readers and loyal subscribers,

Fuck you...

The Hartford Courant.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why would any sports fan buy the Courant? Other outlets deliver pro sports news. Other, smaller papers deliver the "hyperlocal" sports news. EVERY other paper covers UConn sports. What is worth my 50 cents?
    Look, this isn't bean counting, because it doesn't add up. This is the work of one stupid, arrogant ass who ought to be horse-whipped and tarred and feathered outside Tribune Tower.
    The coda will be when the retirement money of Tribune employees is lost while Zell walks away whole.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Exactly, I would like to know the size of the Courant's sports staff now compared to the Manchester J-I or Norwich. LIke PSF said you can get local coverage from those papers even if you do get AP on Sox and Yanks. That used to be the thing that set the Courant apart. With the firing of the HS writers, I can't see how that's going to play out during football season. Games for some schools are on Thursday, then Friday night and Saturday. Courant used to do such a good job with prep coverage, I'd like to see how it shakes out.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Firing the prep guys two weeks before practice starts... wow...

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

frank summed up the old courant superbly. in the '80s, the sports section rocked. this is incredibly, indescribably sad. :( :( :(

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

how big was their staff there, cause that sure as hell seems like a lot of fuckin losses.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

The entire newsroom has been cut more than 50 pct since 1994.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it certainly is a shitty time to be us.

Draft saved Draft deleted