1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newest Presidential Candidate Is . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I saw that on Larry King.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

But he got elected.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A lot of people do exactly what Colbert tells them to do because they think it's funny. He's not going to win, but I wonder if he could affect an election Perot-style.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think people may be taking this a little too seriously... He's going to be on the ballot in one state as a publicity stunt...

He'll get a lot of votes because people really like him, it's his home state and it will be a funny story... It will be a lot nicer than in 2000 when they didn't vote for McCain because Rove spread a rumor that McCain had a child out of wedlock...

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Was it Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy who had the bit about white people voting for Jesse Jackson as a drunken joke on election day, then waking up the next day and saying ... "You mean he fucking won??!?!?!?"

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

But they found out later it was a computer snafu.

7. ChrisLittmann

ChrisLittmann Member

And we know this nation won't ever have any sort of voting snafu.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I'd actually go for Jon Stewart as at least a viable candidate for president.

Earlier this year, I watched his one-hour speech and Q&A on YouTube (six segments), and it was so impressive.

I suppose he'd never take a headache job like that, paying "only" $400,000 a year, but, damn, the man has a better sense of what needs fixed in this country than all those yahoos we have in the relevant offices these days.

It was a frickin' clinic. And so was his "Crossfire" appearance. Stewart had Tucker Carlson backpedaling like a frat boy caught with an underage local girl.

I commend both those Stewart interviews to your attention. Good stuff from a smart guy.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's probably really close as to who the smartest comedian is, Stewart or Dennis Miller. Both are brilliant and as smart as they come.

If I'm not mistaken, Colbert is a Northwestern grad. So as long as he didn't go to the J-school ;D it's a safe bet he's pretty damn smart...

10. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

At first I was bothered, because I don't like the idea of anyone turning the presidency into a joke. But then I figured, 'Why not? Bush has been doing that for the past seven years.'"

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

He had some magazine guy on the other night who ranked colleges according to the good they did for society (whatever that means), and Colbert mentioned Dartmouth as his alma mater.

Draft saved Draft deleted