1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newest Presidential Candidate Is . . .

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Stephen Colbert . . .

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hFzxF7XLwi7Il2DVEE6la0NVo--gD8SAOEEG1

Stephen Colbert to Run for President
    By JAKE COYLE

NEW YORK (AP) — Stephen Colbert announced his candidacy for president on "The Colbert Report" on Tuesday night, tossing his satirical hat into the ring of an already crowded race.

"I shall seek the office of the President of the United States," announced Colbert on his Comedy Central show, as balloons fell around him.

Colbert had recently satirized the coyness of would-be presidential candidates by refusing to disclose whether he would seek the country's highest office — a refusal that often came without any prompting.

His recent best-seller, "I Am American (And So Can You!)" afforded him the opportunity to mock the now-standard approach to a White House run, complete with a high-profile book tour.

The Comedy Central host has often mobilized his fans ("Colbert Nation"), encouraging them to vote to have a Hungarian bridge named after him, for example, or to vandalize Wikipedia.com with his version of "truthiness" and "wikiality."

How far the mock conservative pundit planned to stretch his impression of a presidential candidate wasn't clear. Colbert rarely breaks character on camera, including at his memorable speech at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner last year.

Colbert planned to get his name on the primary ballot in South Carolina, where the comedian is originally from. Earlier this week, South Carolina public television station ETV invited Colbert to announce his candidacy on its air.

When recently asked what party affiliation he would adopt if he tossed his hat in the ring, Colbert replied: "Both. I can lose twice."

In a guest column for Maureen Dowd in Sunday's New York Times, Colbert wrote: "I am not ready to announce yet — even though it's clear that the voters are desperate for a white, male, middle-aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative."

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm watching the repeat of The Daily Show, and Stewart just said they'd have "major news on the presidential candidacy later on in the show."

I can't imagine what news that would be.

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The Robin Williams movie with a plot like this did rather poorly, as I recall.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Colbert's on now.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn, what an original idea. That Colbert is just so sharp and creative. I'm surprised Stewart didn't think of this first.

6. He must be getting a serious cut of book sales to merit that kind of a publicity stunt.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's just going to be on the ballot in his home state of South Carolina. I'll bet he actually gets about 10 percent of the vote.

Considering some of the people who that state has elected in the past, he'll be a serious upgrade over most...

It will be great publicity for his book and his show...

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This struck me as funny:

On one line on the thread list page it reads, "The Newest Presidential Candidate is ... Pete Incaviglia"

9. Faithless

Faithless Member

Stephen Colbert is the Pat Paulsen of the MySpace/YouTube generation.

http://www.paulsen.com/

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If elected, I hope he breaks character.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I would seriously consider voting for Pete Incaviglia.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He broke character on Letterman the other night and went back and forth when he was on Larry King...

Draft saved Draft deleted