1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Newest Kindle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I know there's a thread about this product, or one that touches on this product, but here is the latest version; Kindle 2.0

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/technology/personaltech/24pogue.html?_r=1

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if readers won't pay for newspaper web site subscription, why would they par for this?

3. Pete Incaviglia

That's my hope. It was mentioned on another thread (from another story) that the NY Times could buy each subscriber a new Kindle and it would be cheaper than printing a year's work of subscriptions.

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

The future. This and micropayments. Sign me up.

5. swenk

swenk Member

Authors Guild president Roy Blount Jr. on how the new Kindle rips off authors:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/opinion/25blount.html?_r=1

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's going to be a huge, drawn-out fight. Audiobooks are a gigantic business. I spend close to 100K per year on them for my library. We have reps from several different companies coming in to fight over our money all the time. Forgot to ask the last one what she thought of Kindle 2. But we will be hearing much more about this.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm in the camp that you should be allowed to do what you want with content that you buy for personal use. I've ripped DVD's to use on my iPod or laptop, ripped CD's or converted my clips to PDF's. The text-to-speech function is just an extension of that concept.

Blount Jr. should have a beef with publishers with regard to royalties. It's not the role of Amazon to dictate the terms of author's royalties. It's up to those companies who sell their content to Amazon to do so.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The New York Times really covers the hell out of the Kindle and Kindle advancements.
    It's almost like they have a vested interest...

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The royalty problem, I think, is that the book contracts/royalties existed before the kindle, so there's no provision for these rights.

I've received several contract amendments from publishers on old books, related to ebooks and other electronic stuff, I'm afraid to sign any of them. The technology is developing faster than our understanding of what it means to us as authors.

Either way, though, I have to believe that unless you have a huge bestseller, these percentages are going to be fairly inconsequential.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Like I said, they NYT is better off giving each subscriber a Kindle instead of a printed issue each day. I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for a better Kindle and working on an agreement to start offering that as an option when you renew or subscribe for the first time.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My problem with the Kindle is that e-ink isn't mature enough (i.e. color) and the Sprint's EVDO coverage is lackluster outside of cities. I can't get EVDO at my house through Sprint, but Verizon claims to have EVDO coverage in my town.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Bumping this with news that Apple may make its push into the market (and probably obliterate the Kindle).

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/kindle-vs-apple/

Draft saved Draft deleted