1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The newest irritant on the American driving public

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Oct 9, 2012.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Gas pumps with video ads that bombard you with worthless drivel while you're standing there, filling your tank.

"Come in for a pizza . . . a muffin and a coffee. . . a hot dog . . . rent a video . . . " And even if you get back in your car and roll up the windows, the volume has been set to NFL-stadium levels.

I guess Hess might be the next company I add to my do-not-patronize list.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

On a related note, a good plan to eat healthier: Do not eat a single thing that is sold in a gas station convenience store.

(But dammit, I do like Nutty Bars ...)
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Shell I use has these, but alongside the commercials are celebrity news updates. Keeps me tapped in. Did y'all know Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman is no more?
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just hit 'no' on it as soon as I get out of my car. Shuts it up.

And yes. Posted it on FB yesterday. :D
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sources close to the couple blame the break-up on recent "his and hers" lasik treatments.
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That made me laugh.
  7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I thought the newest irritants to the public were touchscreens (aka long term profit-inflation devices).

Also, f--- GPS. Reading a Thomas Guide most effectively used to be a skill. Now it's just a contest to see who doesn't end up in a lake or on a closed freeway due to their out-of-date GPS.
  8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

This is not new.
  9. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

It is if you're d_b.
  10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The newest irritant on the New Jersey driving public is the combination of red light cameras and state Sen. Shirley Turner.

The red light cameras don't work properly because even if you come to a complete stop before making a right on red, the camera will still snap your plate because you ran a red light. No way to fight it in court because the camera took the picture.
    Turner's solution to the problem? Make right on red illegal at any traffic light that has a red light camera. Wouldn't a better solution be to stop using the damn cameras until the problem is fixed? The NJ Supreme Court deemed the cameras illegal for a short time due to the timing of some traffic lights being adjusted so it would be impossible to get through on yellow without being snapped for a red light violation.
  11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

You can't be serious. They actually snap right turns? I've never seen that even when people DON'T stop during the process of making a right on red.

I guess this is why they still let us vote. Wow.
  12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted