1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Yorker: Getting bin Laden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Story a fraud?

http://www.registan.net/index.php/2011/08/04/the-schmidle-muddle-of-the-osama-bin-laden-take-down/?utm_source=wordtwit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wordtwit

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Reminds me of one of my favorite threads here of all time:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/58657/

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Thanks for the great (not to mention clear) insight. The fact that no one was seriously hurt in the crash is a pretty indicative piece of evidence in is own right.

I can see how they wouldn't want to admit to just banging into a wall after the painstaking efforts it took to get the helicopter into that position to begin with.

Thanks again. You and your comrades stay safe.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Totally awesome post and spot on.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Creates an interesting tension between the legendary rigor of NYer fact-checking and a too-good-to-be-true story made from leaked materials.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting - story now looking a tad suspect.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/editorials/team_bragging_7Eoqyzv05XYLBALWm7ohoK

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh, horseshit. You think that macho bunch in the Bush White House didn't want to get Bin Laden? Get real.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So the only remaining excuse for not having done so is incompetence? OK.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No. I'm sure they worked their asses off in the CIA, military, etc. Didn't happen. But President Obama made it a point to mention that the groundwork laid by the previous administration helped him nail the bastard.
    But don't think for a second the Bushies wouldn't have wanted that pelt.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I remember that story very well and the thread. I would say it's a bit different since the main subject of that story was dead. An equivalent would have been if the New Yorker story told the tale from Bin Laden's perspective.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I read about the Costco stuff a few months ago. There was an unusually large contingent of senior staff and advisers for a Sunday. They canceled all meetings and essentially went dark to minimize any impression that something was going on. That included not letting the kitchen know that a bunch of people needed feeding.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sort of related, it's interesting how times have changed. Would In Cold Blood be possible today? If anyone has other stories about the fact-checking of it, I'd really be interested in reading them. I'm guessing back in the '60s the New Yorker fact-checkers were already legendary. A quick search just found this post.

http://hqinfo.blogspot.com/2006/07/truman-capote-truth-and-lies.html

Or Michael Herr's reporting for Esquire. I can only imagine the outcry today if a writer for a major magazine admitted to creating composite characters, especially of, say, a general. Yet they helped him to create one of the great nonfiction books ever. I'd certainly argue the journalistic "sin" was worthwhile. Yet if someone did it today I'd think it was a fireable offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted