1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Yorker: Getting bin Laden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Nowhere does the piece suggest that he "was the only guy close to" 6 feet. It merely points out that 6 ft was his height.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The food staff at 1600 needs plausible deniability?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, it only says they didn't have a tape measure.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When the president wants turkey and cheddar, and you give him turkey and American, well... a contingency plan is needed.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Followed the on line chat. Almost as interesting as the article.

A few questions about Hamza with no real answer. Seems like there is more to that part of story.

Guess they can close nominations for this years National Magazine Awards.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Or maybe Hillary is just crazy for Costco's pinwheel sandwich platters.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Reporter's father is a lt. general in the Marines, btw. In the Cyber Command.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I found it interesting that some readers claim to be "misled" into thinking that Schmidle talked to the SEALs because he directly quoted them. I've seen some papers that write this sort of nonfiction short story include an inset with information about how the report was obtained, quotes verified, etc., etc.

When I read it, I admit that I assumed that the writer had been provided open access to everyone - or at least several SEALs - who were in the helicopter and the compound.

That he was not actually makes the reporting more impressive to me, not less. I just figured the administration wanted the whole story out there, and hand-picked a publication - maybe even as an olive branch after banning Lizza from Air Force One because of the campaign cover.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

CNN's Ben Wedeman & Richard Engel took somewhat similar paths.

Both moved to the Middle East, learned Arabic, and got hired on by local news bureau.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Nothing about the stealth drones? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Joe Biden owns shares in Costco. Joe is always looking to get some extra bucks in his pocket.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have landed in dozens of walled compounds in Afghanistan and never gotten anywhere near settling with power.

The more I think about it, the less I believe the settling with power argument. The air would've hit the walls and properly recirculated through the rotor system. Also, settling with power would have begun at higher altitudes (maybe as high as 300 feet above the ground). If that would've happened, it would've been uglier than it was.

The next most suitable solution is that they used too much power when landing because of their high weight and probably higher than expected temperature (bad combination for jet engines). If they went past their maximum power available -- a number that is constantly in your mind when you're near it -- then the engines got too hot and began to shut themselves down, causing the rotors to slow (or "droop," in helicopter lingo) and produce less lift, causing a rapid descent.

After a long conversation with some big brains today, this is the conclusion we came to.

The other thought is that they just hit the fucking wall.

Either way, they're lucky as hell they didn't kill a bunch of people.

Draft saved Draft deleted