1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Yorker: Getting bin Laden

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 2, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/08/110808fa_fact_schmidle

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another example of how great The New Yorker is.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's 9 pages of sheer suspense ... a great read.

Midstory snippet: "On the morning of Sunday, May 1st, White House officials cancelled scheduled visits, ordered sandwich platters from Costco, and transformed the Situation Room into a war room."

The early portion, too, trumpets President Obama's commitment to finding Bin Laden - say what you will about The President, but he threw more bombs and emphasis at searching in Pakistan during one year than President Bush did in 8 years.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bush/Cheney didn't want to find him. Kill bin Laden, kill the support for multiple war contracts to Republican military-industrial corporations. I wanted bin Laden alive so he could answer the question:
    Q"How much did Iraq and Saddam cooperate with Al Qaeda?"
    A"Cooperate? We hated those fuckin guys more than we hated you?"

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's suspenseful, but like the Apollo 13 movie, you kind of know how it ends.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't find it suspenseful, because so much of the operation has been reported, at least in broad details. This got into a bit more of the minutia than I had read before. But the story even failed to fill in some of the minutia everyone really wants to know, particularly what specifically happened inside the house during that 25 minutes or so, and who fired the kill shot. It was a good story, but it didn't go too far beyond what had already been reported.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I prefer my suspense opaque.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The only people who'll ever know who double-tapped bin Laden were the very people in the room. When Obama asked Seal Team Six, the answer he got was something to the effect of "Just assume we all did."

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The article says Obama never asked who shot Bin Laden. A fascinating read; thanks for posting.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

New Yorker ipad subscription -- $60 per year. My wife bought me an actual magazine one for more than $100. Good deal.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Haven't read the article yet. Saw some special on the Discovery Channel, and that's what one of the talking heads said.

In any event, I'll wager a frosty beer that the identity of the shooter will remain a secret.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Settling with power. I fucking knew it. 100 percent pilot error. Fucking 160th.

Draft saved Draft deleted