1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Times goes there

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's amazing the number of stories that the Enquirer breaks weeks and sometimes months before even the best newspapers do. At my first job, there was a local case that was getting a shitload of national attention and the Enquirer kicked our ass on every aspect of it and the reporters assigned to the story would all hav copies of the Enquirer on their desks.

I remember asking one of the reporters if the Enquirer stories were all bullshit and he said, "I've yet to find one (for this specific story) that wasn't dead-on, but we play by a different set of rules than they do."

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why are we talking about this when Benghazi?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

ABCNews.com with an embarrassing piece:

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether the Enquirer reporting had any merit or not, the White House is clearly in full damage control mode at this point, right?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Going to be some hat-eatin' around here if this is shown incontrovertibly true.
    I appreciate that he's showing us what he's really made of.
    Not even being able to manage his own marriage.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

No way to tell. It's not like they were watching the NFL playoffs last weekend and Barack said, "C'mon, baby, a couple of your friends have already turned 50. Let's have everybody over and show them you can have fun with it."

The Enquirer throws enough stuff against the wall that sometimes something sticks. If it was TMZ, I'd be more inclined to believe it. (OMG, I typed that.) For now, I'm going with Occam: They're having a party because it's her birthday.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

The Enquirer gets a lot of celebrity kind of stuff because they pay sources. As far as the veracity of their reporting, the only thing I can tell you is I remember they kicked the crap out of everyone in reporting on the O.J. Simpson trial.

Other than that, I got nothing.

8. YankeeFan

I don't thing anyone is claiming the party is some evidence of problems in their marriage.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well that's how those people are. Marriage means nothing to them. They act like they're back living in the jungle.

[​IMG]

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

No, they're claiming the party and articles about it/her birthday are damage control.

11. YankeeFan

I thought the party had been scheduled for a while. I missed the last meeting, so I might not be 100% up on the narrative.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, that's exactly what he said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.