1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Times goes there

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"She likes to take 'me time,' as she did during an extra vacation week this month without family in Hawaii, setting off a tabloid furor over the state of her marriage."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/us/a-first-lady-at-50-finding-her-own-path.html

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Article makes you realize that the typical life of a middle aged urban female has become
    a cliche.

3. Dick Whitman

I'm sure a middle school girl enjoys having the details of her burgeoning interest in boys on the nation's front page.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd love to know who the "notable local columnists" are who are going to dinner parties at the White House.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The right wing media would have you think she has 1-800-EMPIRE on speed dial.

6. Dick Whitman

That certainly raised my eyebrow, as well.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd have to guess the smart money is on E.J. Dionne and/or Eugene Robinson.

Dionne, in particular, is a complete joke.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would think that Mike Harris is on the short list as well.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well played.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's much rarer than the article implied.

The Obama's are known for their lack of entertaining. They socialize with a tight circle of friends. We know the President went to a party at George Will's house, and he's brought in columnists and cable/radio hosts for off the record talks in the Oval Office.

And, while members of the media have attended State Diners, I'd be shocked if a "notable local columnist" has attended an intimate dinner party at the White House on more than a couple of occasions.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This reminds me though, that when Giuliani was first Mayor, he would host dinner parties at Gracie Mansion on a regular basis. He would include people from the arts, sports, business, etc.

The dinners ended when he stopped sleeping with his wife, and started sleeping with his communications director.

12. Dick Whitman

YF, was this puff piece on the First Lady's 50th birthday just an excuse to get the tabloid rumors into the Times without having to actually write a story abotu the tabloid rumors?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.