1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Post's performance yesterday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Here is a screen shot of the Post's online coverage on Monday:

[​IMG]

Not "as many as." Not "could be."

No. "12 dead." Reported as confirmed fact.

2. Dick Whitman

I love YankeeFan, but every time the Times has a comma out of place, he starts a thread about it.

The Post botches the body count of a terrorist attack - and is the only major news agency to do so - and he wants to call attention to the fact that some radio station somewhere also screwed up because it misreported that color jacket the police commissioner was wearing or what Chinese province one of the victims hailed from. (Exaggerating, but slightly.)

These are not equal sins.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The whole wording of that headline is terrible.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I alluded to this in my original post, but in the 24-hour news cycle, with the pressure to be first, I'm not sure the media will ever again be a trusted source of news in the immediate aftermath of a big event. I'm sure there will be some great reporting in the future as this investigation moves forward, but when was the last time multiple media outlets didn't quickly get multiple pertinent facts wrong about a big news event?

5. Dick Whitman

What are some of the big ones?

I can think of:

* Giffords
    * Obamacare decision
    * 12 dead

I know there are more. I don't even really count 9/11 mistakes, chaotic as that was, or the Dan Rather National Guard story about W., which was a story actually spearheaded by the news source itself rather than a reactive story, or even details like which kids were in which classrooms in Newtown as people tried to sift through the details. I'm talking completely botched, identifiable major facts coming out of a major, breaking news story.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

On yesterday's cover page The Post must have been looking to recreate the dramatic 9/11 Rachel Uchitel photo.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I sat in the newsroom Monday afternoon while the young copy editor rattled off every "report" on his Twitter feed and said, "Don't worry, most of this stuff will turn out to be wrong." I was right.

And Dick, the identity of the Newtown shooter originally was reported as his brother, right?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

yes and said brother was allegedly found dead in his apartment in Hoboken

9. Dick Whitman

That's right: Ryan Lanza, correct?

10. Dick Whitman

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/regret-the-error/156515/the-year-in-media-errors-and-corrections-2011/

Best Numerical Error
    This was the opening sentence of a column by celebrated magazine writer Chris Jones for Grantland, the sports website launched by Bill Simmons and ESPN this year:

“Without looking it up, I can tell you the night the Toronto Blue Jays won their first World Series — October 27, 1992 — because that was also the night I lost my virginity.”

Actually, the date was October 24.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Does Canada use the same calendar as the U.S.?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's right in line with all the folks who pointed out that Monday's bombing, which happened on April 15th, was on the anniversary of Oklahoma City, which was on April 19th.

Draft saved Draft deleted