1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Post's performance yesterday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 16, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, Starman's definitely Scott Evil.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Then your standards stink. I don't care what news outlet said it or who owns the paper. There were never 12 people dead. There is no good reason to jump the gun on the number of dead people.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not comfortable with that quote mistake.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This post has been edited from original. It should be noted.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Best I can tell, the Post made one more mistake than every other news org.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nine bodies is one mistake?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You think they miscounted?

They went with bad info, same as all the news orgs who reported additional bombs.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There were never multiple unexploded bombs either.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Let's say you're in a math class. The question is the square root of 9. You say 12 because someone who you think knows math told you it's 12. Everyone else, including people smarter than you and people who have studied more than you, says 3. The teacher tells you the answer is 3. Everyone keeps telling you it's 3. The teacher keeps telling you it's 3. But someone whose math you trust says it's 12. Do you keep saying 12 over and over again?

With something like a death toll, restraint is more important than being first. You want to underestimate because if you say two people died and three people died, you still were right. Two people did die, along with a third. If you say four people died, you were wrong. If you say 12 people died, you were really wrong.

I have no problem with the initial mistake. But it's perverse to stick to the story more than a day after being told by every conceivable authority that you're wrong.

10. Armchair_QB

Wait, the Post is still reporting 12 people were killed?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

From the article in the OP: "By Tuesday morning, the official toll had not risen. The Post backtracked slightly, writing, 'The official death toll was three, but a law-enforcement source told The Post it could be as high as 12.' "

12. Armchair_QB

So are they fabricating the source?

Draft saved Draft deleted