1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Google Times?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So does that make Fox News soy milk?

2. This may sound stupid, but I just had a thought that someday all major newspapers will be owned by the Googles and Yahoos - at which point they will have the balls to charge people for access to that newspaper's websites. It will turn out like the Sirius/XM battle now. If you subscribe to Yahoo's news service, you'll have access to say, the New York Times and McClatchey papers. If you subscribe to Google, you'll have the Washington Post and Gannett papers.

What you'll end up with is a service based largely on where you live. "I subscribe to Yahoo! because they have my local news. My brother in Tahoe has Google."

Just a (disturbing) thought.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm not precisely sure how Google (or any other web engine) would make money from a newspaper brand. Or what would happen to Google's stock price if they started charging a subscription fee...

4. I don't imagine they would start charging for searching, just some of the original content they offered ...

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

All you hear when it comes to Google is that it's a great place to work, all the employees are problem-solvers instead of pessimists and how money grows on trees outside the huge windows of the outstanding cafeteria staffed by top chefs.

I know we're talking about news-gathering and the like, but shucks I wouldn't mind spending a while in that environment.

6. If we all started working there, it would no longer be that environment.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Presumably, they do. Which should give pause to a lot of suits.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Subscription fees for online text content just doesn't work. At least when trying to get individual subscribers to do so. Plus everyone complains now about newspaper chains beholden to shareholders. It doesn't get better with Google or Yahoo on board.

9. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I don't think it's a subscription model they're looking at, it's the content they want.
    Google is looking at getting in the cellphone/PDA business. They'll want to ship sports scores/headlines/stock quotes/whatever directly to devices. And instead of shipping info from another service, they can use their own brand. That's something that advertisers will want to be on board for. Especially if its Google/New York Times or Google/USA Today.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://idorosen.com/mirrors/robinsloan.com/epic/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPIC_2014

11. i'm not going to tell you that we don't have problems and that we don't face major threats. and i'm certainly not going to tell you that epic 2014 isn't well done. but i will tell you it's a piece of science fiction.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Like AOL/Time Inc.?

Draft saved Draft deleted