1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Daily News cover on Va. shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Just when you think he has reached peak Baron ...

JackReacher and LongTimeListener like this.
  2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying, frantic. But I think the studies are showing that the screen time and living life on social media is chipping away at our ability to empathize.

And the constant dopamine hits (dopamine addiction-- thinking what's the newest information is the most important information)-- are causing us to move on from tragedies too quickly-- before we've even come close to addressing the problems.

I use social media, and I'm guility of it. I can feel the change in myself. Everytime I take my eyes off my son's project to instead glance at a meaningless text I just received, I can feel it.... I see the effect the screens have on my kids. I can see how they're developing differently than I did-- in some ways for the better, in some ways for the worse. But certainly differently.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    franticscribe and I Should Coco like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I should clarify, that I'm not rooting for it, and if anything I think they would become more entrenched and believe that they need the guns to defend themselves.

But at the same time, I think that these incidents are an abstraction for the NRA. They're just another thing to reiterate their talking points. A horrible violent attack, though, would be more than an abstraction for them. It would make it personal.

4. Baron Scicluna

Tell me something, Sunshine. Why do you think pro-lifers hold up pictures of dead fetuses at rallies? To show everyone else what the results of an abortion are, in the hope that they will be so disgusted, that they will change their minds on the issue.

They do that so people don't see abortion as an abstraction, just another topic of conversation. They want everyone to take it personally.

That, in a way, is what these front pages are doing. They are making it personal for everyone. It's no longer just another shooting, or something you're reading about.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Quit while you're way behind, Baron.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Holding up pictures is not the same thing as actually killing people.

That isn't something most of us need explained.

7. Baron Scicluna

Remind me again who kept talking about "Second Amendment solutions"?

8. Baron Scicluna

No, not the same thing. But the same principle. To shock, and make it personal.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A one-man tour de farce.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Holding up the NYDN front page is not the same as killing the people.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This is incredible.

LongTimeListener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted