1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Daily News cover on Va. shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But maybe others would.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think that's one of the biggest red herrings in the piece. People deny the moon landing, despite video of it existing. People deny that the 9/11 planes brought down the World Trade Center towers, despite that happening on live television. Video of Sandy Hook would not stop the wing nuts.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would stop some of them. You don't hear about birthers any more.

4. franticscribe

They're still out there. Sheriff Joe is still peddling that bullshit. You don't hear about them because the media finally stopped giving them any credence.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What effect (impact) certain videos would have on people depends on how invested they are in a given issue. The Planned Parenthood videos only made the pro-abortion diehards even more defensive about their position and aggressive toward any opposing views.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's you. You're an empathetic, thoughtful person. So is Moddy. So is Double Down.

What about the casual hashtaggers ?

What about all those Americans for whom empathy is rapidly fleeting? What do we do about the people who increasingly need to be shaken hard in order to feel-- much less act.

Tweener and franticscribe like this.
  7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Why is it assumed that the "hashtaggers" or those who use Facebook memes think "that's enough." I think most of that stuff is silly, too, but I'm not arrogant enough to believe that an occasional social media posting gives me intimate knowledge into the motivation or agenda of strangers.

SnarkShark and JackReacher like this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

There's almost nothing left that Americans would give their life to defend, but the right to own a gun is one of those things. It disgusts me, but it's true.

I'm talking about West Virginia. Much of Texas. North Idaho. The dark corners of Mesa, Ariz.

Owning a handgun and using it to defend yourself is the only thing many ultraconservatives like about America anymore. And you'll literally have to pry it out of their cold, dead hands.

9. franticscribe

I don't have answers to those questions. I wish I did. Although I am not sure that I am convinced the American people are losing their ability to be empathetic.

What I do believe is that running those photos on the front page the way the NYDN - and the NY Post - did has an effect. It affects readers. It affects the victims' families. It affects other misguided mentally ill people who may now see the shooter as a role model of sorts. I see the limited value in running them that Ryan argues for and others are agreeing with being far outweighed by the harms it causes. And that's where my news values and my ethics say no way should those pictures be on the front page.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hope that the next nutjob opens fire at an NRA convention.

Maybe then, there will be a slight chance that they finally start understanding the problem.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not really going to root for more dead people.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do you? Jesus Christ.

Draft saved Draft deleted