1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Daily News cover on Va. shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Two journalists did not die in vain if we can draw attention to ourselves.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As you probably know at this point, I wish I could "Like" this a million times.

spaceman likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But what's there to do? As political brick walls go, the NRA has the strongest one ever.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So it's not a hottake if it's good?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Average people have to care enough to join the other side.

And contribute.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At the very least, people have to combat the idea that more guns are the solution.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Newseum front pages has today's front pages, like normal. Page 15 has the various Virginia papers. Subhead for the Norfolk paper made me cringe: "Cameraman and reporter died doing what they loved."

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

A friend of Alison Parker said that on TV yesterday. I don't care how much you love doing something, no one wants to die doing it. Especially when you're 24.

SFIND likes this.
  10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Same here. Great column. There are several parts I really liked, but two in particular stand out to me. One is how much different the outrage about Sandy Hook would have been if we had live video of terrified teachers trying to keep children safe. Especially in what's become a "video or it didn't happen" society, that is spot on. The other is the outrage at the NYDN for holding up the mirror and not the outrage about the reflection in that mirror. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that is great.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agree. That was a good column. Making me rethink some things.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It didn't and won't change my mind. Not wanting to see that plastered on the front page is not wanting to deny or ignore what happened. I am no more or less outraged about yesterday's actions after having seen today's NYDN. I am no more or less invested in understanding how violent our society is after having seen today's NYDN. I would not find the Sandy Hook shooting any less abhorrent than I already do if video of it existed for the world to consume.

I remain disgusted, though not surprised, that the NYDN couldn't give two flips about its responsibilities to the subjects of its news stories, to its readers, to the public at large.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted