1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New York Daily News cover on Va. shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Basically the screen grab I posted on the other thread yesterday. It's better than the NYDN cover, which went to far which is something for even me to say. Didn't need to show the gun flash and her getting-shot face.

The Post cover should have been enough.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son, his wife and I talked about it this morning. We all agree that the cover was a bad idea. We also see the side that says it is the very ugly reality. This is what happened. We can understand that some may see news value in that. But believe me, I was plenty horrified by this situation. I didn't need to see a picture of that young woman in her last moments of life to emphasize that horror. Maybe some did, I don't know.

I also understand my "outrage" for a lack of a better word may be because I have a daughter close to that age and this would be the death of me if something happened to her. Or that I'm a journalist. Or maybe just a human frightened by all these shootings and wondering what's next? I took the kids to the airport this morning (don't think about knocking off their house, I'm there. And everything of value in mine - me, the dog, the iPad and my computer - is with me). Dropped them off for a huge weekend of fun that will include the Foo Fighters. Worrying like the old Jewish mother I am - will they be safe, will they make it home? Of course, I did that before the shootings, too.

I don't know anything anymore. I just know I didn't care for that cover. At all.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've completely flip-flopped on the gun control issue (well, honestly, I have always supported reasonable gun control) but it seems every foreseeable scenario of horror has come to fruition. Nothing is worse than first graders being gun downed at school yet I am still shocked every time something happens. I simply can't see how the NRA and the Tea Party sleep at night, knowing they are indirectly supporting these incidents when they shout "My second amendment rights trump your dead kid."

As for the topic at hand, they could have easily relayed the horror without showing that young woman in her final seconds of life.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Moddy I appreciate what you're saying.

But isn't it interesting that we draw different conclusions ?

It hits home for me, too.

I did that woman's job for 15 years. And as for the kids, Newtown happened less than 30 minutes from my home when my daughter was in first grade.

I see this happen ... And I'm so angry and frustrated ... Especially with the lack of progress that's been made since Newtown... And part of me wants to shove the images down peoples' throats .... I wanna say, "LOOK AT IT !!! LOOK AT IT, ASSHOLES !!!!"

Because nothing else seems to get anyone's attention.

Tweener, HC and amraeder like this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

spaceman likes this.
  6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

7. JohnHammond

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Oswald photo is the first thing I thought of.

I guess 50 years (plus Oswald being an assassin getting what he deserved in many people's eyes) has a way of desensitizing it, but you even see it pop up in a humorous context from time-to-time.

Such as:

[​IMG]

9. JohnHammond

10. JohnHammond

TV cameramen didn't shy away from this.

[​IMG]

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This actually did the rare thing of changing my opinion and making me agree with the column. You can dismiss it as a hottake, but that would be bullshit. Ryan is right. By saying "Let's look away! Let's find the good in this, somehow!" we're denying the horror of it. The Daily News is hot trash, and Ryan is saying that as well, but that doesn't mean we should look away. Get mad. Feel hurt. Do something instead of retweeting a nice thought or liking a Facebook status and thinking it makes any speck of difference.

Tweener, murphyc, TyWebb and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted