1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Working Poor: Players in MLS?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by britwrit, Oct 27, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Copy cat.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a great model for the club operators! The franchise values have appreciated quite a bit the last few years, which is one of the payoffs from operating as a single-entity -- it has allowed them to keep their costs in line with their revenues. That is really the only reason that league has survived as long as it has, right?

On an operating basis, the league is pretty much break even, from what I understand. Half the clubs make a modest profit (up to a few miillion), half lose modestly (up to a few million). The problem is that the players earning those low salaries don't have much leverage. They are the guys who want to hold onto the dream, and if they leave it, there are others who will happily take it. Aren't they basically the infantry soldiers of MLS?

If you look at some of the rosters, you have a few guys earning those low salaries and a bunch of guys earning anywhere from a couple of hundred thousand up to multimillions per year -- some of those players they attracted away from European leagues (or aging stars) to give the league a few headline stars.

I'm not sure how the players could collectively bargain away that disparity -- with that single-entity structure in place, that is. If they decide to split up revenues with the team operators through a CBA, they'd still be largely working with the same pot of money they have now (right now, the league is pretty much break even, right?). And if they decide to give more of the total revenue the players could negotiate to the lesser players, it has to come from somewhere -- it would likely mean losing the handful of star players, which help drive revenues in the first place.

Still, I agree with what I would guess you think -- that IS what most of the players should be thinking. They should be fighting to be able to negotiate across teams, which would very likely drive up what at least some of the players can get on an individual basis. For those guys earning $30K, though, it might not have much impact (if they are pretty much the infantry soldiers of MLS, the way I think), without some kind of cap that shifts money from what higher-paid players might negotiate to those lower-paid guys (and again, would that mean losing what star power there is?).

Either way, the paradox is if they just did away with the single-entity structure (which I believe they should, for what it is worth -- if the owners want to control costs, they should have to do it through discipline, not collusion), without some kind of salary cap structure, they'd probably cause the league's demise. My guess is you would get a couple of Harlem Globtrotters out of it, and a dozen or two Washington Generals. And who knows how popular that kind of league would be? It was that kind of disparity that has done in past attempts at pro soccer here, right?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If that's what the MLS guys are making, I shudder to think about all those guys shuffling by in USL PRO.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

As a single person, I'm comparing my salary to theirs. Thinking about how most people starting out in their 20s always have to struggle, have roommates. And throwing in the fact that many players in single and double A ball truly make slave-wage salaries.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We've never had trouble getting players to our community events, because they get a few hundred bucks as an appearance fee. Even when the player was a relative "star" (a starter who scores a little bit and whose name is instantly recognizable to the fan base), my journalism salary was well beyond what that guy was making.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I do some coverage of our local USL PRO team and have a 4-year-old in preschool. We signed him up for the Soccer Shots program, which involves the coaches picking up a group of kids at school and walking them to a field a block away, so we had to give permission for them to sign him out of school. A few weeks ago, I finished the advance for the team's playoff matchup, then turned my attention to the permission form for Soccer Shots, and I saw that one of the names on the approved pickup list was the forward I'd just finished writing about.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I would say at leaat one meal a day is taken care of by the (MLS) club, so they've got that going for them.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This story is a pretty good reminder that when talking about the competition MLS players face, Klinsmann is correct.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

This story gets recycled every few years. Usually, it's accompanied by photos illustrating how strange it is for Professional Athletes to need roomies.

A decade ago, some players were making around $15,000. The league's economics are what they are.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just a guess, because I have never thought about it before. But I am wondering if a well-capitalized rival soccer league could take away what MLS has managed to slowly build -- and do it in just a few years. Two things that make me believe at least someone has to have had the idea: 1) the average MLS franchise value is more than $100 million and it has been growing at a fast clip.2) more than a third of the MLS fan base is hispanic, which has gotten to be a sizable, and growing, demographic in the U.S. I know you'd need FIFA to do it, but I am assuming if you were capitalized well enough they could be bought.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's the only league in North America where the players are poorer than
    their fan base.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What is it about this kind of journalism that makes context so easy to bury? Per the players association, there were 572 MLS players in 2013. Of these, half had a base salary in excess of (approximately) $92,000. Only 61 had the $36,500 base salary. So for every player earning a $36.5K base, there were close to 5 players (the ratio's actually 4.69:1) earning $92K+.

Draft saved Draft deleted