1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Unmarried Moms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

A close friend's family is going through this issue right now.

He -- and I -- are astonished at the choices being made, because no one wants to be honest with the young woman about the responsibilities of raising a child when you are not truly prepared to do it. Don't get hung up on the word "shame."

How about we stop sugar-coating things and make people understand the consequences of their actions, especially when it affects someone else -- like a baby who needs to be cared for?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Very well said.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think this is about right.

I'm not for shaming, but we do need to let kids no ahead of time -- like way ahead of time -- that having kids at a young age, and before you complete your education is likely to lead to a life of poverty for you and your child.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The paper out here did an article last year on a pair of teen moms on a HS soccer team. The article was extremely flattering and sappy and focused on how great the experience has been not just for the moms but for all the other girls on the team who get to help care for the babies. The moms are growing up in a welfare environment and are pulling straight Cs at the high school. They are headed directly into the same cycle of poverty and will eventually be 35-year-old grandmothers. And they are mini-celebrities in their world.

So, seeing all that, how do you think the other girls (from the same neighborhood and socioeconomic group) look at having a baby? Like it's something pretty awesome.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Journalism fails society all the time with gutless puff pieces.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That sound of gears grinding is LTL rethinking his position.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It is a tough spot to be in -- I'm fairly certain I'm right, but Mark does have that effect.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dude,

I thought it was a good observation. If you want to be an ass and play the opposite game, your choice.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

A woman who isn't a mother is pretty worthless.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Papers that print stories such as this contribute heavily to the "liberal media" slant. Apparently they don't even realize what they're doing. They just think they are precious "people" stories. It's appalling.

Draft saved Draft deleted