1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Unmarried Moms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's one thing to scare a teen about pregnancy and having a baby so young. Which is why I'm in favor of making kids have those mechanical practice babies in junior high, so they know that it's not all fun and games to have a kid.

Shaming them, especially the girls, is something else. It's not going to do them much good when they're up at 2 a.m. feeding the baby. And we're a little past the point where shunting them off to unwed mother homes in the middle of Podunk is going to teach them a lesson.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Education, affordable and easy-to-get birth control and frank discussions with children BEFORE they begin having sex are much more affective weapons. And JFC, if you have a son tell that boy to wrap that thing EVERY SINGLE TIME. Girls do not get themselves pregnant.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

+1,000

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

At least the ads are honest. As a society, we've shown that we're going to spend as least money as humanly possible to support unwed mothers. Why leave the impression that we think it's hunky-dory?

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

+1,000

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This issue doesn't have a fucking thing to do with marriage. It's about economic and social stability, things many married couples can't provide, either, especially young married couples without high school degrees.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But the gist of the story is that those are the kinds of couples that aren't getting married anymore.

And two incomes are always better than one, and having Dad around is (almost) always better than not. So I think marriage is very much at the heart of the situation.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So every dad who isn't married to his child's mother is not providing or around for his child?

9. LongTimeListener

Not every. But statistically speaking, a far far greater percentage.

The differences in achievement between kids who grow up in two-parent households and those who don't are well-established and not up for debate. And that isn't just a money thing.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's because society has tempered us into thinking the two-parent, one-house, marriage system is correct. Therefore, responsible adults would tend to get married because they've learned that it's the responsible thing.

11. LongTimeListener

It's society's fault, man!

I have a hard time finding fault with a society that emphasizes having two parents.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would prefer it emphasize financial and social stability. This entire conversation can't be had without discussing the legalization and stigmatization of abortion, though. And I'm not sure I want to go there here.

Draft saved Draft deleted