1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Unmarried Moms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, if you can't trust the author of John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand to be an expert on teen pregnancy, whom can you trust?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You can say that again.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I laughed.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Encouraging teens to have children (even tacitly by ignoring the reality and consequences) is like encouraging immigrants not to learn English.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I have no problem with this. It's not really any different than the ant-smoking ads they run up here. It shows the harsh reality.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wish I had noticed Dick's post before deleting the two repeats.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I saw a news report on this campaign. I don't understand the outrage. NYC is not using this ad campaign as its only tool to bring down the numbers of teen pregnancies nor is the City burying its head in the sand thinking that abstinence lectures are the answer.

I wouldn't characterize the ads I saw as "shaming." They pointed out the negative consequences of teenagers having babies. I did not see a moral component of shame being attached to the message, despite the use of the word in this piece.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I wouldn't either. But Richard V. Reeves certainly picked up that non-existent ball and ran with it.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not a lot different than anti smoking or MADD ads,

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Uncle.Ruckus, I don't know what you're so bent out of shape about. That was a benign piece. I think D-W did mis-characterize it by saying it "advocated" shame. I would say the author simply pointed out that there might be a place for shame in the effort to cut down on out-of-wedlock pregnancies.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I have so many strong opinions on this issue that it is really hard for me to post something that in my opinion all sides may feel is constructive.

I will simply say that shaming a teen mom is, by definition, too late. And what percentage of teens who are not yet pregnant or mothers actually believe that they will become the next teen mom -- whether they are active or not?

I'm pretty sure research shows that most of those who become the next teen moms to be denigrated against never really thought it would happen to them.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

First of all, if you decide to shame the mother you will also shame the innocent child. The word bastard is not a compliment.

And for this primarily male thread, any male who wants to "shame" an unmarried mother had better be prepared to marry anyone he sleeps with who gets pregnant. Otherwise they are just hypocrites.

Draft saved Draft deleted