1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Unmarried Moms

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Jay Leno once read a headline "Fonda says use head to prevent pregnancy." Go with what work, ladies.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

[snark]Yes, men are ever so much more incapable of reading and interpreting statistics than women. This is especially true if we are talking about sex or pregnancy. OPS or WAR, men are OK. But if it's regarding procreation, yeah, there's something about that Y chromosome that exacerbates our inability to interpret probabilistic data. [/snark]

I don't know a single woman who became pregnant on the pill. But whatever the hell does that have to do with what I was responding to? Here, I'll point you to it ...

Oh, and just one more little detail ... I was talking about condom use, not pill use.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Yeah, some women get pregnant while on the pill. Surprising how many people, male and female, just see the numbers when they're examining statistics, and slide right past "when used properly."

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

So you can't do math, and you have no response?

Duly noted.

By the way, anyone relying on condom statistics for an argument is kind of a red herring given everything we know about how frequently they are inappropriately used. So, in consequence, any study of people who used condoms for an entire year is going to infer a result wholly incompatible with teens (or others) who have used condoms zero, five or fifteen times in their lives.

Edit: I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time trying to explain things to you.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh this should be fun -- our resident statistics professor being told by a sportswriter that he "can't do math."

Your Ph.D. means nothing, doctorquant! Throw it in the trash! Are you even a real doctor of quants?

6. doctorquant

Trust me, champ ... I can do the math. What I can't do is figure out is what the eff point it is you're trying to make. Versatile suggested condoms were 98% effective, then calculated a joint probability for a single sexual encounter based on that number (and the effectiveness of the pill). I stand by my point, which is that the likelihood of an unintended pregnancy resulting from a single instance of sex in which both the pill and the condom were used is much smaller than 0.006%.

7. doctorquant

LOL ... no ... I just had a calling, but no real training [/crossthread]

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Contra to the Contra to the Contra. From Slate, of course.

www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/03/marry_in_your_twenties.html

Draft saved Draft deleted