1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new Seven Wonders of the World: What's your choice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Oct 17, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It is breath-taking. Standing up there you can't imagine how people built it without modern technology, or even knowledge of the wheel. A benefit of both of my parents being from Peru is that I have been to MP three times. The altitude is brutal on the body, though. I went one time probably at the height of my physical capabilities. I was 18 years old, on the soccer team and I ran sub-six minutes miles. In Cuzco, I couldn't walk 10 feet without losing my breath.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Machu Picchu qualifies. So does the Great Wall, and Notre Dame, too. The idea of the ANCIENT wonders was they were the cutting edge technology of their day as far as construction was concerned, and everybody who had any idea there was an outside world knew it. As far as American wonders go, I'd put the skylines of New York and Chicago way ahead of the Statue of Liberty. The Golden Gate would count. The Sydney Opera House is a world's wonder of the modern variety. Maybe that Frank Lloyd Wright house in Wisconsin with the creek running through it. It's a good topic for discussion. In one way, if you were to pick the American structure that'll outlast us and was a marvel of construction that typifyed our society, it'd have to be be the Interstate.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd love to visit Machu Picchu.
    South America, Antartica and Australia are still left on the travel list.

Mike, I think the Wright house you're think of is Falling Water. If so, it's in Pennsylvania.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Madonna Inn, San Luis Obispo.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Very cool place.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, as Cosmo would say, I spent a month there one night ...

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Mrs. OTD and I stayed in the Caveman Room at the Madonna Inn one fine weekend. To call it kitsch might be understating it.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Being the movie nut I am, Machu Pichu is in The Motorcycle Diaries.

And the Cambodian temple is in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (the first one).

Not the same as seeing it in person, I know, but the flicks will still give you a feel for the sites.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't seen either in person yet. I saw 'The Motorcycle Diaries' and the scene at Machu Picchu is great. I never saw 'Tomb Raider,' but I've seen plenty of images from both places.
    I'll get there one day.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

UND's hockey arena would be up there.

YHS, etc

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can't recommend 'Tomb Raider' as a movie, but the temple stuff was cool.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Solid points, however, (even though you said American structure) I would take the Autobahn over the interstate

Draft saved Draft deleted