1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Republic: 'Science Is Not Your Enemy: A plea for an intellectual truce'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

93Devil, you are veering perilously close to expressing a belief in "intelligent design."

Do you think it should be taught in public school science curriculum?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I have no use for organized religion and I am firmly on the side of science (see my work on the various evolution threads like the one that popped up a month or so ago).

That said, it bothers me when people say things with absolute certainty that they really can't be certain of. Such as the statement that the facts of science reveal there is no purpose in the laws governing the universe. Just because you don't see one or don't understand it doesn't mean there isn't a purpose. And when they get all the laws of the universe figured out with certainty, then we can talk about whether or not there's a purpose behind them.

As I said, I am a devotee of science, but people need to be sure that when they say science proves something, science actually does prove it. Otherwise, they're no different than the religious zealots they oppose and/or mock.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Feynman, Richard. Lectures on Physics: Volume One, Addison-Wesley Pub Co., 1963.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you beleive Jesus turned water into wine, then relgion and science can't co-exist.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe he just put roofies in the water, I don't know.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyway, psychology isn't science, so this guy is a total fraud.

Cruise, Thomas. Lectures to Oprah: Season 18, Episode 23. Harpo Industries, 2009.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Another guy who is just wrong. Fancy that.
    Psychology a science? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

" ... Pietrobon was faced with the fact that our science is inherently limited ... "

Limited!

That said, the politics of pangaea.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1673238/pangea-redrawn-with-todays-political-boundaries#3

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just some guy writing in a vacuum to the relative limits of his human mind. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, just some guy. I find these long, relatively-pointless tomes of "truth" in magazines quite boring.

Man's been no further than the moon, and this guy thinks we've acquired certitude on the lack of purpose to the universe's laws. (Cue the Hubble rebuttal in 3, 2, 1)

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if he had written "discernible purpose"?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then that part of his argument would immediately dissolve into uselessness.

Because if science does not in fact prove to us the purposelessness of the laws of the universe, as he claims, there might very well be a purpose, which completely destroys this premise:

"The facts of science, by exposing the absence of purpose in the laws governing the universe, force us to take responsibility for the welfare of ourselves, our species, and our planet. For the same reason, they undercut any moral or political system based on mystical forces, quests, destinies, dialectics, struggles or messianic ages."

Draft saved Draft deleted