1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Orleans Times-Picayune May Reduce Frequency of Publication -- NY Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 23, 2012.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They will. It'll be online.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you think a crapton of sportswriters get dinged here, just wait until college football conferences and the NFL decide they no longer need ESPN's platform to broadcast their games. The day's coming, and when it does...jeebus will there be a bloodletting. ESPN has no other way to strongarm cable companies than football games.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm sure the "Saints win Super Bowl" headline will look awesome online. Lots of readers will buy that to save.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be flippant here, either. It's very sad the paper's reducing its print schedule. I don't know that sports reporters will get as dinged as editors/designers.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure the paper would put out a special edition. Ditto if a hurricane hits.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm sure the first cuts will be designers and editors. Cutting back print days, it makes sense that that's where the cuts would come. I'm just baffled that they wouldn't have a plan for some kind of Monday Saints edition, and not just because I think they should have a Monday paper. I would think the Saints would bring in advertising, and a good chunk of that would be on Mondays. Is it crazy to think they couldn't get enough advertisers to support a 16-page Saints tab each Monday?

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I figure they would too. Probably would from the beginning of the playoffs. I'd assume ad sales could support that.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

11 a.m. staff meeting called at the Press-Register. Heard from one of my spies. This ain't gonna be good. I'd be willing to bet the same thing happens to Mobile, Huntsville and Birmingham as well.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

News like this makes me want to stick my head in the oven, but the damn thing is electric so all I can do is singe my eyebrows.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama papers also cutting back to three days per week:

http://blog.al.com/al/2012/05/alabama_media_group_a_new_digi.html

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Was just about to post this. Beat me to it. All of the "Live" website papers doing this? Crazy...

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I feel for those folks who are not wired in the region. I'm venturing to guess that's a good portion of the population too.

Draft saved Draft deleted