1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Interesting piece on her past, and how to repackage her as someone, as the story says, "likable."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/18/us/politics/18michelle.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp&adxnnlx=1213764814-02S1PPkbKHRkrLglCp5yDw

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I stopped at the lede. "A trained smile"? How do you know whether a smile is genuine or not?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No politician, nor any politician's wife, has a genuine smile. It's all rote memory.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Thanks for the link, Alma.

The right wing wants to charicature Michelle as the "angry black woman" because they think it will turn white people off to her. And all they had to do is wait for the right out-of-context sound bite to make it plausible. The truth is, these are good people who have worked hard and don't deserve the way they're being treated by the racist fringe of the GOP.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Yeah, what he said.

My goodness. Can we (all of America) please, for the love of all that is good and decent, make this a race that has nothing at all to do with the color of a person's skin? Please?

That is all I ask.

And that is all I will ever say about politics on this board again.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I like Michelle Obama. I can actually visualize her and her hubby having sex. Can't do that with all that many politicians. . .

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to see that as the new TV ad campaign.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL!! I guess you noticed that pat from Obama on the small her back, right after he gave her that terrorist fist jab.

It had "you I'm getting some tonight" written all over it.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I hear you. They pulled the same crap with some guy on the Brooklyn Dodgers back in 1947. He was black. Big deal.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great article. She'd make a great V-President,

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is crazy. Michelle Obama grew up in South Shore as it moved from overwhelmingly white to overwhelmingly black, thanks to redlining, white flight and real-estate scare tactics. Given the traditional racial politics and division in Chicago, she has probably heard the n-word directed at her more than anyone will ever know. She grew up only a few miles from white, city-worker neighborhoods that emerged as the veritable oases for white Chicago, who made it clear that any black people around better be out of town by sundown. In Michelle Obama's time growing up in South Shore, the nearby steel mills that provided most of the jobs to that area of the city collapsed and left thousands out of work. The neighborhood was never in total disrepair like others, but there was a lot of disinvestment even though it was often described as black middle-class. She had to overcome a lot of stuff -- and judging by her college thesis, even those in her own community -- to get as far as she has.

And people wonder why she doesn't smile more?

Draft saved Draft deleted