1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new and improved, fight-free Romney vs. Obama thread!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He said, "That guy is a big fucking deal."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would say Romney's chances of winning Arizona improve considerably if the top election official in the state follows through with the plan to keep Obama's name off the ballot on account of he hasn't been verified as a U.S. citizen.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/birther-controversy-arizona-election-official-says-its-possible-obama-might-not-make-ballot/2012/05/18/gIQAZWbjYU_blog.html

“I’m not a birther,” Bennett said in the interview on KFYI. “I believe that the president was born in Hawaii – or at least, I hope he was.”

But he added: “My responsibility as secretary of state is to make sure that the ballots in Arizona are correct and that those people whose names are on the ballot have met the qualifications of the office they are seeking.”

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

"I'm not a witch."

"I'm not a birther."

Methinks Bennett doth protest too much.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obama should sue him for slander (the implication he has committed a felony, election fraud) in federal court.

Since the lawsuit would represent the POTUS suing an executive of a state, it would go straight to the Supreme Court.

The defense of course would counter Obama has no grounds to sue since he is not a legal citizen.

Obama's entire rejoinder: he is a legally documented citizen by the standards of the state of Hawaii and has been since birth.

Let the Roberts Court rule. Yes or no.

And from that instant on, anybody making any legal complaint of "birtherism" in any court in the U.S. is prima facie guilty of contempt of court for a frivolous complaint.

Unless ... well ... at least in that case the nation will know finally the truth about the conspiracy. (The OTHER one.)

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You know, Arizona gets a lot of play nationally for hating Mexicans, but the immigration stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. The level of crazy in Arizona government is off the fucking charts.

This week the governor vetoed a bill that would declare all federal land in Arizona to be property of the state. Yes, it passed both the House and Senate.

There was serious debate over a bill that would declare federal laws to be unconstitutional is a panel if Arizona lawmakers decided they were unconstitutional.

The former state senate president (and the sponsor of the infamous immigration bill) is running for a senate seat in a different district, despite (a) being the first senator to be recalled and booted from office in Arizona history, and (b) the fact that a good friend and political protege of his, a man he had sponsored in the Mormon Church, just murdered four people and committed suicide while wearing a Nazi uniform.

6. timbo slice

timbo slice New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

ACTIVIST JUDGES!

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If Mittens could count women voters as .8 votes toward Obama's total, he'd be a serious HOF candidate for sure.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As I noted on one of these threads, I was told by a family member who is a political executive for a major labor union, that they have long scoffed at the idea the Obama campaign (a) will raise $1 billion and (b) will have more to spend than the Republican candidate -- she was including in both figures Citizens United-type slush funds.

But Meg Whitman had twice as much money as Jerry Brown, ran on a business record, and got her clock cleaned because she was a terrible candidate and because her party's ground game was about as good as France's in 1940. And as we learned during the Republican primary, the more that voters got to know Mittens, the less they liked him. His only play was negative ads, and negative ads against well-established sitting presidents, who are personally well liked by a majority of voters, have limited effectiveness.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's true, but while Mitt isn't a great candidate, he's not a first time candidate. Yes, he'll still make mistakes, but not as many as if he'd not run for office previously.

And, California is a deep blue state. Mitt needs to win places like Ohio and Florida, and he's running against an incumbent, not for an open seat like Whitman was. (Though, as a previous Governor, Brown was certainly known to voters.)

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Meg Whitman lost because of immigration. Period. I don't think a single issue is going to surface like that in Romney-Obama.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The maid? I know it didn't help, but do you think she would have won otherwise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.