1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Age of Twitter Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, May 21, 2013.

1. BUMP ...

Why Twitter is not always a good idea.
    Staff writer for Detroit Free Press.

[​IMG]

She deleted the tweet and apologized, but not before inciting outrage and offense.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't blame Twitter for someone being an asshole.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You NEED to Tweet and here's why.

I no longer work in journalism. I've moved to PR. And when I interviewed for my current job, I told my hiring manager that the local newspaper wasn't nearly as important as it used to be. We can control the message. We can share photos, videos and text. We can do the job that newspapers used to do.

By saying Twitter is worthless and ignoring it, you aren't participating in an important conversation. And you are slowly becoming irrelevant.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Never had a Twitter account. Not going to have a Twitter account — not today, not tomorrow, not next week, not next year or the year after that. Y'all have fun.

5. ETN814

ETN814 Member

There are a few guys on my beat who refuse to use Twitter and it's always odd to hear them remark about something that happened hours ago. "Oh, wow, the team cut Johnny Fullback?" You're losing if you aren't on there.

6. Then there's this... Not sure how I feel about this.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/7929/zlati_meyer_s_only_crime_was_apologizing_for_her_west_virginia_tweet#.UtaV2_RDvsP

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Newspapers should be informative, not "edgy" or "funny."

Here's a crazy idea: Maybe tweet about those real problems instead of making a stereotypical redneck joke. The fact that she chose the joke shows she doesn't give a fuck about any problems West Virginia may or may not be facing.

Draft saved Draft deleted