1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NCAA lacrosse champs are from ... Denver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 25, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The other major difference is that if the defender gets whistled for whatever as the ball carrier approaches the goal, a free position shot is awarded. The defender has to step X yards away, leaving the opportunity for the offense to get a free shot at the goalie/goal. It's one of the reasons why goaltending percentages for the women's game tend to be lower than the men.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I can't drive more than 10 miles on any Saturday or Sunday without seeing fields filled with lacrosse matches going on out here. Lacrosse is HUGE at the high school level here and at the youth level. The indoor and outdoor pro teams are wildly popular. The NCAA quarterfinals two weekends ago drew more than 13,000 -- and that was with bad weather forecast (and it hit). Tiereny coming here was nutso six years ago. Now ... super genius. And he's set to go recruiting in a couple of weeks, not to the East Coast, but to Oregon and California. Expect after this sea-change win by the Pioneers to see more Western universities add lax programs.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

One of my high school buddies now lives in California. His son was an all-American defenseman at a California high school. And he went, of all places, to Bryant, where he just finished his sophomore year. I have little doubt that, if he were 10 years later in coming along, he would have been looking at a Western school.

Those kids have had one option if they wanted to stay out west to play big-time college lacrosse. Look at it that way, and it's as if Tierney was one of those early software pioneers who saw something few others did.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I've tried to understand the game, but as someone currently residing in the heart of college hockey, watching what feels like the same movements performed by people on foot looks weirdly herky-jerky. And besides, I already have one NCAA niche sport to concern myself about.

Then again, as I mentioned in the 'dear dimwit' thread, I had a woman call this week arguing (pleasantly, at least) that DU's victory would be a great reason to publicize her son's belief that my area ought to have lacrosse. Funny thing is, with all the hockey players, lacrosse season would be a great excuse for many of those kids to keep their flow going into the summer but I'm not sure the success of a school 1,200 miles away (especially when the East Coast is actually closer) is a great rationale to do so.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The women's game is more a game of skill and finesse and the men's game is more a game of strength and hitting.

It's much, much, much harder to catch a pass in the women's game and cradling, obviously, is much, much harder.

On defense women are trying to make the player drop the ball with your position or force a bad pass. Men are hitting each other with their sticks. Plus, defenders cannot have long sticks in women's games.

The women also wear almost no protection when they play.

- women

- men

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The men's game is off the charts skillful. A hell of a lot harder to make skillful plays when you are getting whacked and hit.

The women's game isn't in the same ballpark as the men's, which is too bad because there ae some great woman playing a form of lacrosse out there.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe its the American in me, butunless it is World Cup or my school playing, soccer doesn't do it for me as a fan like lacrosse does.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yeah! Denver.

Just wanted to say that.

Isn't Bryant where the Duke lacrosse coach that was railroaded ended up and has stayed since? The team he took over has become pretty good and he has supposedly refused offers to better programs.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Exactly. He was featured on 60 Minutes a couple of weeks ago. And that's the story. He says he's going to stay faithful to the school that let him back in the game.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought Shottie revived this thread. Penn State beat Denver in Dallas yesterday, 15-10. First loss of the season for Denver, and as the OP of this thread mentioned, the Pioneers are the defending champions.

A great day for Penn State Lacrosse yesterday.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Hey Vombie, how'd Hopkins do today? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted