1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NBA has gone NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Mar 20, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The NBA is now enforcing stupid rules. And they both involve University of Texas freshman forward Kevin Durant.
    The NBA fined the Boston Celtics $30,000 because general manager Danny Ainge sat next to Durant's mother during the Big 12 Tournament. And, it fined the Charlotte Bobcats $15,000 because part-owner Michael Jordan said Durant was a versatile player. Jordan didn't even mention Durant by name.
    The league said Ainge violated rules that state contact between team executives and potential draft picks be kept to a minimum until college players declare for the draft.
    As for the Bobcats, Jordan was responding to a general question about player versatility, when he told the Charlotte Observer: "the kid who may present that is the kid in Texas . . . "
    Jordan apparently violated a rule that forbids league officials from discussing college underclassmen because it might somehow influence their decision to turn pro early.
    Your thoughts on the subject.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don't forget Don Nelson getting slapped with $15k for discussing Oden in an interview.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The story on Ainge was funny because it said that he had "excessive contact" with Durant's mother. I knew what that meant, but it didn't sound good.

4. boots

boots New Member

A mormon getting it on with a southern african american? Not in amerikkka.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

What's stupid, it seems to me, is that if "tampering" is such an evil, then make the fines really hurt.

Sock Ainge for $300,000 or $3 million and he'll be a damn sight more careful about who he with sits next time.

I think the idea is to avoid a "Johnny Be Good" scenario with NBA guys all standing in Durant's front yard.

But the draft kinda obviates the need to make "excessive contact." It ain't like football recruiting.

6. Just want to make sure I'm reading this right ...

So, Boots, you're now equating Mormons with the KKK?

7. boots

boots New Member

Well it wasn't until recently that Mormons allowed blacks into the congregation. In fact, I do believe that Brigham Young said that they were black because they had the mark of Cain.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they're really that concerned about players leaving college early, then make a rule that no player may enter the league:

1) until four years after his HS graduation;
    2) until earning a college degree;
    3) until his 22nd birthday.

No more arbitrary or less legally defensible than the current rule.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

After reading the thread title, my first thought was the NBA had somehow made itself interesting.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Well, in Ainge's case it made sense as he was on TV sitting with Durant's family. That's fineable. What Jordan said is hardly a big deal. He referred to him as the "kid from Texas." Maybe he was talking about Chris "Big Greasy" Daniels from Texas A&M-CC...

11. Boots,

I don't need you to tell me what the Mormon church teaches, seeing as I am a member of said church.

Better get some of your facts straight. Blacks were not allowed to hold the priesthood in the LDS church until 1978, when our prophet was given a revelation from God that the priesthood was supposed to be made available to all worthy men (wome do not have the priesthood in our church). Blacks have always been welcome members of our congregations, and there is certainly nothing preventing interracial relationships.

Are some Mormons racist? Sure they are, just like any other cross-section you might want to choose from. To compare all 12 million of us to the KKK .. that's going a little too far.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow, that's excessive. There are athletes like Ki-Jana Carter who have earned their degrees in three years.

Draft saved Draft deleted