1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nats writer who hated his job says goodbye...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Feb 27, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

But what a blog post he exits with... Chico, you're a good guy. (No, I'm not him.)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/02/a_goodbye.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

2. Is he leaving the paper or changing beats? To what and why?
    Chico is an OUTSTANDING writer.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moving to Tokyo to be the Post's correspondent there.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That was a nice read.

Doesn't sound at all like a guy who hated his job.

5. 1: They have a correspondent in Tokyo? In this economy? ... Jebus.
    2: What type of writing is that? Business? General assign?
    3: Lucky Bastard ... Oh to be young and single with the chance for a gig like that...
    3: Congrats... Harlan is my favorite newspaper writer working. I have enjoyed his stuff since I found him at the P-G. I

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If pedigree means anything, TR Reid was a Washington Post Tokyo correspondent. I don't know if the public knows much about him, but he's one the best American journalists in my lifetime.

As a Post reader for 30+ years and Nats follower, his writing will be missed.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree 100 percent about t.r. reid. his health care book bored me to tears because i'm not a policy wonk but his newspaper pieces (and NPR reporting) have always been terrific.

8. gordon edes

gordon edes New Member

Very classy parting words from Chico. The WP foreign bureau just got a nice upgrade. Best of luck to one of the finest young talents around.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seconded.

10. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I certainly hope Chico's stint covering the Nationals is remembered more for the grace and humor he brought to the beat than an off-hand comment about his passion for food. The bar had seemingly been set unmatchably high by Barry Svrluga, but I think anyone who read Chico -- and not just Deadspin entries about him -- knows that he is leaving the beat in a better place than when he acquired it. He's a brilliant reporter who on occasion may be mistaken for just a writer. Chico told some of the best stories of the last two years when confined to stadiums of 40,000 people and 25-man rosters. Imagine the opportunities he'll create for himself roaming a continent of 4 billion people.

Best of luck, Chico. Next time I hear an old-school Toby Keith song, I'll imagine I'm raising a Lonestar and will think of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted