1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nats are dealing!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

byh, if you want to swing a bet, let's say loser doesn't post for a week beginning on day 1 of the mlb playoffs.

if you're confident in the reds, do you want to set the over/under at 81? i will take the under.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'll set it at 102 and take the under

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

While I'm always open to correction from the many who know more, the more I think the more I like it.

Two every day players who are considered at least good if not great for a sometimes decent reliever, a reliever with some potential, a stopgap shortstop who has done well this year, a future utility guy and a minor leaguer?

Yeah, I'll take it.

Let's do best by best:

I assume Kearns is the flagship of this deal. Bray is the brightest of the bunch the Nats sent. Would anybody not do that?
    Majewski-Lopez? That, too, seems skewed in the Nats' favor.

Yeah, I'll take it.

My hunch is Guillen will be gone by this time tomorrow night. There are rumors that they're going to keep Soriano, which is fine by me as long as they plan to throw some cash at him and sign him. If they keep him and he leaves at the end of the year, well, that would not be good.

They also need Livan to win his first three starts post break to bump up that value. Right now, I'm not sure they can get a used grill for him.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

[​IMG]
    They sure ain't. [/bitterphilliness]

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sounds good to me. And you know how I love baseball over all else so I gotta be confident.  :D

They're no great shakes, but I will be surprised if they don't win 81.

6. Moderator1

Hey Hustle, did you know the Chief bobblehead you sent me talks?
    Bounce it's head and it says "I am Khalil Greene's bitch."

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think it's great that Abreu is trying to crash into a wall to save Myers, the thug whose, uhh, thuggishness pretty much spelled the end of their season.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

What happened? I was on vacation. (Folks in Portland don't seem to care about the Nats.)

And BYH, that coinkydince was not lost on me.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm a Reds fan, and the more I think about it, I have no qualms with this trade. None.

Kearns has decent stats and a good arm, but I haven't seen him pick up the team in key situations. Dunn, no matter how horrid his batting average may be, has shown more ability to provide a clutch hit.

And Chris Denorfia can provide the same kind of impact Austin Kearns can, at a fraction of the cost.

Lopez, while a good hitter, is an absolutely horrid fielder -- hence my nickname for him E-Lo. I think it says something that he's on his fourth team in, what, five-six years?

I trust Krivsky. He's made some kick ass moves so far. Just because Kearns and Lopez have better name recognition, that doesn't mean they're necessarily better players.

10. Moderator1

Nats were up 7-1 Sunday before the now-Red Majewski and Chief came in and fucked it up.
    Khalil Greene, who drilled a slam against Chief in September, crunched one in the ninth to tie it 9-9.
    Then Piazza hit one even harder to win it.

"I'm Khalil Greene's bitch, I'm Khalil Greene's bitch."

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a Reds fan and I don't have a problem with the trade either. I love Krivsky's wheeling and dealing. He bought my confidence with Wily Mo-for-Arroyo, so I'll give this a chance. Gotta give up something to get any kind of relief help nowadays, and the Reds for the most part haven't had trouble scoring runs. Taking Kearns and Lopez out isn't going to kill the offense.

12. Moderator1

Check back with me in about a week, after Majewski's third grooved fastball.

Draft saved Draft deleted