1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nats are dealing!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 13, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hell of a deal for the Nats.

And everyone's a contender in the national league.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Without reading the whole thread, and risking redundancy, the Reds fans within earshot absolutely HATE this deal, which would seem to be validation that it was a good one for the Nats.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Ah, but we haven't seen the medical reports on the acquired Nats players yet.
    If form holds, there's a torn hamstring, a Tommy John candidate and a broken toe yet to be discovered. ;D

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Soriano back to the Rangers as a corner outfielder?

The irony drips.

5. DENNY

DENNY Guest

I love this trade for the Nationals. If they can keep Soriano or get something decent back from trading him, the Nats look like a group that can make some noise in the next few years. If Washington can upgrade here and there with free agents, which I'd imagine they would try to do with a new owner, this looks like a team that can compete with anybody in the division.

I don't see how this trade makes the Reds contenders in the Central, even though the Central is weak. You have to get Phillips and Freel in the lineup every day, which helps make up for dealing Lopez, but then you're counting on a youngster in right field every night. I thought Kearns carried the Reds' lineup at times earlier this season, so they could really miss his bat.

The Cardinals, if they can stay healthy, are probably going to win a lot of games in the second half. Houston, with the addition of Clemens and Huff, has a chance to make a run, but the Astros have to get going here soon.

Cincy and Milwaukee will fall back toward the Cubs and Pirates, unless Ben Sheets can actually produce in the second half.

6. Has anyone seen anyone say or write that this was a good trade for the Reds?

I haven't. Not one single person.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

tim says you can't judge this trade for 5 years.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's hard to believe the Reds gave up that much basically for a couple of middle relievers.

p.s. Royce Clayton blows

9. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

June 30, Cincy 44-36.
    Since then: 1-8.

I'm thinking 75-80 wins.

As weak as the NL is, Cincy is no better than a 4th place team in that division.
    Houston
    St. Louis
    Milwaukee
    should all finish in front of Cincy.

10. I'm wondering if anyone is going to get Barry Larkin's reaction to the trade. He's a special assistant to Jim Bowden which means he may have just helped to acquire the very guy that Reds management wanted to replace Larkin with as part of a youth movement. That movement had a year and a half shelf life I guess.

Larkin wanted to come back in 2005 for his 20th season with the Reds and those extra games and hits and the round number of 20-years with one team may have put him over the top for the Hall of Fame. The Reds basically told him to screw - that Lopez was their guy and now Lopez is traded for middle relievers? Larkin must have had mixed feelings about today's trade. I'm sure he'll be a good soldier and cliche machine about it but there has to be some bitterness there.

I'm also pretty sure that Lopez's trade value must have been higher at the begining of last season then it was today.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Between that and the Guardado trade, it's obvious that they have no faith in anyone in that bullpen. None.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it's obvious from watching one reds series that they should have no faith in anyone in that bullpen. none.

actually, they like coffey as a set-up guy, but he choked as the closer

Draft saved Draft deleted