1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Nats are dealing!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I was surprised to see them give up Bray AND Majewski. The rest of the pen, save for Cordero, ain't worth much.

Glad to see Bergolla and Denorfia get a chance in the majors. Saw them plenty a couple years ago when they were here playing A-ball.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

From rotoworld.com

We take back every bad thing we've ever said about Jim Bowden. This looks like a complete and total steal for the Nationals. Lopez is a huge upgrade at shortstop over Royce Clayton. It's true that he's not stellar defensively, but he'll get to more balls than Clayton did and be a quality bat near the top of the lineup. The Nationals now have the lineup of a contender: LF Alfonso Soriano, SS Lopez, 2B Jose Vidro, 1B Nick Johnson, CF Austin Kearns, 3B Ryan Zimmerman, RF Jose Guillen and C Brian Schneider. Their bullpen is quite a bit weaker, but if they choose to keep the current squad intact, a wild-card run can't be ruled out. Jul. 13 - 4:13 pm et

-------
    WHAT ARE THEY SMOKING?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Am I imagining things or haven't the Reds wanted to seperate Adam Dunn and Kearns for a while because those guys are a little too buddy-buddy for their own good?

The Reds needed bullpen help and they got a little, but I think the Reds gave up too much. As a Brewers fan, I'm liking this trade.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I can't imagine this team contending having just taken what little bit of quality out of middle relief in a sure-to-be-overworked bullpen, but the losses in the pen don't bother me as much as the fact that this doesn't look like a deal Nats fans have been set up to accept. Kasten's philosophy was supposed be to grab up as many propects as possible (a la the Marlins) and build for three or more years down the line. Kearns and Lopez aren't old geezers at 26 or whatever, but I guess they might change uniforms again in the next couple of weeks. And I though Bray was going to be a piece they could plug in for some time to come either as a middle reliever or a starter if it came to that.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, I'm happy with the trade.
    I'm as big a fanboy looser as there is in the world.

But a contender? Is Kearns a starting pitcher? Is Lopez a reliever? Have they seen that staff?

Again, I like the trade (after hearing from our educated folks).
    But a contender?

You are correct. What are they smoking?

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I like the trade from the Nats' perspective, too.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Been a long time since I said this, but you are insane.

I'm not sure they'll win the wild card, but you're smoking some serious doobage if you don't think this Reds team, in that god-awful NL, has a legit shot at not only 75 wins (c'mon, 75 wins?) but also a playoff spot.

After making this deal, the Reds better make the playoffs. They gave up three young players with upside for two middle relievers. And they also got Royce Clayton, who is just awful. Just moving him makes this a win for the Nats.

I'm not sure I'd say the Nats can make a playoff run, but I like their chances of finishing second in the NL East. And I like Bowden's chances of sticking around a lot more than I did yesterday.

A_F, want to make a little wager on the number of games the Reds win this year?

9. Pretty good analysis of the trade here

http://outsidebaseball.blogspot.com/2006/07/breaking-down-redsnats-trade.html

Blogs rule!

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Maybe Bowden isn't an idiot after all...

He got Kearns AND Felipe Lopez AND Ryan Wagner for two middle relievers and a bunch of apparently valueless garbage. While Kearns and Lopez likely will see their numbers drop at RFK, both guys are still above-average offensive players. Then add in Wagner, who despite his struggles, is only 24.

I envy you, Moddy. :D

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I, too, like the deal from the Nats' end.

I keep wondering if I'm missing something, but I can't see why the Reds would do this deal.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Draft saved Draft deleted