1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The National, reborn?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Because that "rich guy from Mexico" -- Emilo Azcarraga Milmo -- died in 1997.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

OK, but only if they replace the daily sports crossword with Suduku.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

I hear what your saying, but I'd bet my last freaking penny that about 99 percent of us on SportsJournalists.com would subscribe if it was reborn as good as the original.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well then, take his name off the list.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think he's talking about Carlos Slim, the Mexican guy that just recently blew the doors off Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

6. HejiraHenry

No, Azcarraga was The National's money man.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

USA Today Sports Weekly almost does what the old National did and could still do it if again gannett took the time to write more game previews and actual game coverage.

8. danhawks

danhawks Member

Ever try to get back together with a girlfriend with whom you had a torrid relationship at one point, but crashed and burned at the end, and realize that the magic wasn't there the second time around? I'm afraid that might happen with The National, but you never know.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'll take constantly reoccurring SportsJournalists.com threads for $500, Alex.

(Not complaining. Just saying.)

10. HejiraHenry

No, really, not even close.

And I don't regard that as a great indictment of USAT SW, more praise for the overall quality of what The National was trying to do.

In point of fact, you could put together a pretty tidy Web site pulling together all the work on the Web right now that's National-worthy ... whether you could enrich yourself in some fashion without running into other issues, I do not know. Drudge does it, certainly.

11. boots

boots New Member

What it is in its present form is Sporting News.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ditto.

Nothing since has even remotely resembled what The National accomplished in comprehensive sports coverage, print division.

Draft saved Draft deleted