1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Naked Gun" turns real at Shea

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Hope this isn't a D_B...

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-lifall0412,0,400189.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

300-pound man crushes fan at Shea

Ellen Massey always counted being struck by a baseball or a bat at Shea Stadium among the hazards of being a Mets fan, but she never thought a 300-pound man would come crashing down the stands -- and onto her.

That's what the Manhattan resident, 58, said happened on Monday, Opening Day at Shea.

Shortly after the seventh-inning stretch, she said, a man dressed in a green Army-type jacket tumbled from higher seats and onto her back, knocking the wind out of her and, ultimately, causing serious injury.

"I only know he came flying," Massey, 58, said Wednesday from her bed in Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx. "I was literally not able to breathe for about half-a-minute or so. The first thing I was aware of was not being able to breathe, and then when I was able to breathe I was aware of the pain in my lower back."

Massey, who is a lawyer, is scheduled for surgery on a vertebra on Friday. After she was injured, she said, she was attended to by two emergency medical technicians who were in the stands watching the game, and then by Shea's own medics, who stabilized her head and neck area and took her to a local hospital.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Hey, it's Enrico Pallazzo!!!

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

At a Chiefs game years ago, I watched a guy fall out of the upper deck. He hit a couple of people on the second level, bounced off and landed in the lower deck.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She can sue the shit out of the Mets for allowing this guy to fall. The basic ticket talks about being struck by bats and balls from the field into the stands, but nothing from Shamu falling from the sky...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And, being a lawyer, she can represent herself.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

then, as they say, she will have a fool for a client

7. I found it funny the way the story was written. She couldn't breath for 30 seconds, then realized she had back pain. Then they say she's a lawyer. Sounds like she had 30 seconds to realize she could capitalize on this. I'm not sayin', I'm just saying. ::)

8. boots

boots New Member

And this was a story?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While that might be common place where you're from Bootsie, 300 pound people falling from a tier of a stadium doesnt happen everywhere.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. But some people prefer "not the truth" to "strange, but true."

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Point taken. So what happened to Jumbo after the fall? Did he get up and head to the concession stand or what?

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

My first real laugh of the day. :)

Law school teaches them well, doesn't it? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted