1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The N in ESPN about to stand for nobody

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 1, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hell, Smith's departure doesn't even cut into their stable of former Ohio State players that much. They've still got Galloway, Herbstreit, Carter and Spielman.

Lugnuts likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's a miracle

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Probably the #1 reason I got out of it: American League Baseball.

Something like Rangers-Yankees was even worse.

Being at the ballpark at 1:30 am trying to get exhausted players to say something halfway meaningful... when every single living soul just wanted the hell out of there... Brutal.

Then I had a baby and there was just no way.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You're doing it wrong.
    - Adam LaRoche

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

(Insert misogynistic tweet here)

Lugnuts likes this.
  6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It's a miracle.

expendable likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And the Red Sox will be on three straight Sunday Night baseball games after playing the Astros first. But don't worry, Yankees-Red Sox will also be on July 17. Mark your calendars.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good question asked by a previous poster re: ESPN the Magazine. Would be curious to know their balance sheet.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's your opinion that he doesn't stink as an analyst.
    My opinion is that he does- and he also has a little bit of Schilling in him, at least as far as being a blowhard.
    Do you not see how ridiculous it looks for Trent Dilfer to criticize the performance of any single superstar in the game today?

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Playthrough, I would bet my tax refund the Magazine has been bleeding money for the last half decade.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So because a former player isn't Hall of Fame caliber, means he can't be an analyst?
    Any former professional football player, especially one who played as long as Dilfer, basically has a Ph.D in football. He's one of the few who seems able to break it down and explain it to a mass audience, which is what separates him from most of the former players working in TV. I doubt any criticisms he offers up are ones the player in question hasn't heard from coaches in the meeting room.

And FWIW, I've heard Dilfer acknowledge that his career was underwhelming. He still spent 13 years in the NFL and started 113 games, and no matter whether he "deserved" to be there or not he's still one of about 40 guys to be a starting quarterback in the Super Bowl. None of those are small feats.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Trent Dilfer played a supporting role, rather badly, for two of the greatest team defenses in NFL history.
    There's a little more credibility in seeing Steve Young critique Jay Cutler's game than Dilfer.
    To me, "you didn't play the game" is better than the guy who played the game, sucked out loud at it, and is still a loudmouth and/or rigid in his opinions.
    The same went for Sean Salisbury. You'll notice he isn't "analyzing" anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted