1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The N in ESPN about to stand for nobody

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 1, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. And he will land on his feet elsewhere. He has something to say without screaming.

studthug12 and BDC99 like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Quick Pitch is my go-to show for highlights and information on MLB, because I get all the games, not thw WWL's Yankees /Red Sox / Dodgers man crush.

RSNs eat into the potential WWL audience as well. For example, a typical Giants game on CSN has a half-hour pregame, the game (full of Kruk and Kuip goodness) and a half hour post game, leading right into the nightly sports show.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There's no point keeping these mediocrities onboard when the business model is cratering.
    No one will miss the commentary of Trent fkn Dilfer except his family.
    ESPN is acting wisely.

Righto.
    When does the Mag get affected?
    Is it still good business to send Wright Thompson to India to write a 10,000-word valentine to cricket?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

One other thing that always torques me is that they push their news coverage of sports they don't broadcast, like the NHL, way down. It's slightly understandable - why promote sports that are shown on other networks? But, if you are the WWL, you won't be the go-to station or website if you keep making some sports seem substandard and not worth much coverage.

Plus, soccer. ESPN is becoming international and unAmerican. Someone should build a wall!!!

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No shit? I have largely stopped watching SC and other shows that beat me over the head with NBA. Click

6. 3_Octave_Fart

I find it hard to believe a network owned by a company that just made $2 billion off a single Star Wars film is ailing that badly.
    If Disney is tightening the belt, it is doing the right thing by shedding the operation of high-priced clowns.
    They got Bayless to take the blue pill, and can start offering it to a few more jackasses.
    Next should be Mr. Berman.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's a good thing the Yankees and Red Sox are on tonight so that ESPN can promote next Sunday night's game between ... the Red Sox and Yankees.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What game would draw bigger ratings?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Problem is, Dilfer isn't one of the high priced clowns. They have plenty but he ain't one of em.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They overbid on so many properties... a hundred million per NFL Monday Night games.
    Now nickel and diming with scrub salaries.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

Well, the reports are the Dilfer thing was over money.
    Who knows why a guy who made a fortune as a bad player needs more money.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I saw that too and wanted to puke.

Draft saved Draft deleted