1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Myspace debate revisited......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

In MySpace's defense, you do have to be under 18 to see someone under 18's profile. They don't even let you search for under 18 when looking for friends if you're older. As someone else stated (sorry, don't remember who) you can set your profile to private and not have to worry about creepers unless you go looking for them.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I posted your comments so your attempts to alter what you said and your stance in an attempt to save face is off base.

You said myspace is "safe" and that I was living a "dateline NBC" fantasy by preventing my kids from participating in myspace pages and other forms of online meet and greet places because the internet is a favorite lurking place of sex offenders and stalkers and whackos.

Then we find out there are at least 30,000 + know sex offenders lurking on myspace. Futher, it is so easy to get info off of a myspace page without a posted phone number or adress (of course, I assume people on here are reporters and thus would have little trouble doing a little digging), but I guess pervs move on if the information isn't handed to them, lol.

Yeah, that's a place I want my kids roaming.

Just admit, you were wrong, that's all I am asking. Just admit that there is a risk -- and a bigger risk than most people know -- with anything involved with anything you do online and as a parent you are being neglectful if you aren't persistent in your monitoring and or forbidding of your child's online activities.

3. zagoshe

I think if you keep saying that while clicking your heals together three times, it might make you feel better about yourself, but it won't make it any more true.....

4. zagoshe

Oh really? Asked an answered. What's that you said -- what a jackass.

Yes, you are.

MySpace: Your Kids' Danger?
    Popular MySpace Web Site Attracts Predators, Worries Parents

(CBS/AP)
    "When they think MySpace, they think other teenagers. They don't think there are adults pretending to be teenagers on there."

(CBS) It all started on the social networking Web site MySpace.com, reports CBS News correspondent Sandra Hughes. A 14-year-old girl began receiving graphic messages from a much older man, asking whether she was "OK with me being 38?"

It wasn't the first time the alleged predator, Robert Wise, trolled the Internet looking for sex, according to Sgt. Dan Krieger of the League City, Texas, police department.

"We assumed her online identity and started chatting with this guy," Krieger explains. "During that point, he made it very clear he wanted to meet her for sex. We were able to find another 14-year-old female that he's actually had sex with."

Wise is now in custody, charged with multiple counts of sexual assault.

But the incident is just one of many cases nationwide — and some of them have ended tragically.

In New Jersey, Majalie Cajuste is grieving the murder of her daughter Judy. The 14-year-old reportedly told friends she met a man in his 20s through MySpace.com.

Across the country, in Northern California, friends are mourning 15-year-old Kayla Reed. She was active on MySpace until the day she disappeared.

Police are investigating possible MySpace connections in both murder cases.

The Center for Missing and Exploited Children reported more than 2,600 incidents last year of adults using the Internet to entice children. With numbers like that, you'd think all parents would be hovering over their kids, wanting to know what they're doing online. But authorities say many parents are clueless about their kids' MySpace profiles.

CBS News Technology Analyst Larry Magid had a look at one personal profile on the site, belonging to a 15-year-old girl.

Magid says the girl writes in her description, "Drink a 40, smoke a bowl, sex is good, life is great, we are the class of 2008."

"Now if you were a predator and you read something like that," asks Hughes, "what would it tell you about this young lady?"

"I'd target her, I think," Magid replies.

In talking to some teens who regularly use MySpace, it's easy to see that a lot of kids aren't very careful about the information they put on their pages.

"So many people don't even use common sense," says Katie Pirtle, a high school student. "Some people even put their phone number on there."

And while they information kids put on MySpace may be intended for their friends, do they think, "Hey there's 35-year-old or 45-year-old guys out there looking at my site?"

"Definitely not," says April Ehrlich, another high school student. "When they think MySpace, they think other teenagers. They don't think there are adults pretending to be teenagers on there."

Many MySpace users post "the survey," which asks for responses about issues like drinking, drug use and skinny dipping. Users can also put up pictures.

MySpace declined CBS News' request for an on-camera interview but said in a statement: "We dedicate a third of our workforce to policing and monitoring our site."

The site requires users be 14 or older, and they are warned not to post any "personally identifiable material." But the teens we spoke to say that advice is routinely ignored.

"Just like a car accident, it can happen to you," says high school student Julia Rinaldi. "Predators can come to you — and that's what they don't think when they post those things."

Those predators include men like 26-year-old Jeffrey Neil Peters, who was arrested last month for sexually assaulting Susie Granger's daughter. Granger says parents should keep their kids off the site.

"Please don't allow your children to go onto MySpace," she says. "It's a very unsafe environment for them to be in."

But for the thousands of teens who are hooked on the site, it's a warning that's lost in cyberspace.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

55 percent of all teens have pages on social networking sites. Show me the crimes against teens that are being committed as a result in any significant numbers, and I'll listen. It isn't happening. And you can't.

Your kid is safer in front of a computer in your home than he or she is going to the mall or leaving the house to walk to school in the morning. You're being ridiculous and hysterical. But as I said, feel free to dress your kids in burkas and monitor them with ankle bracelets and forbid them to do the normal, healthy social things all of their friends are doing. That is great parenting.

6. zagoshe

2600 of these types of crimes in a year is not a signficant number?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Zaggy,

In that story, it describes a 15-year-old posting that she drinks, smokes weed and has sex, making her a target for a sexual predator.

Seems to me that she has issues of her own and could get into plenty of trouble even without the help of myspace.

Foolish people are always going to find ways to get in trouble.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That 2,600 number in that story was an estimated number of TOTAL incidents of pedophiles trying to use the INTERNET to entice children. That is the internet, not myspace.

And given the millions of people with internet access, no, I don't find that number any more significant (more than one is bothersome, but I am not surprised) than say the number of pedophiles one can reasonably estimate lurk near schoolyards. I'd call you nuts too, if you told me you refuse to let your kids out of the house to go to school because it isn't safe for them.

You still can't show me the tangible harms being committed in any numbers against the MILLIONS of teens with myspace pages. It isn't happening.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm with Ragu. Don't think that forbidding your kids from having a MySpace page will even work. Unless you track their every move 24/7/365, they'll likely find a way to defy you.

What you DO is you have a talk with them about protecting their identity. There are privacy settings on MySpace, be careful about whom you add, don't post home or cell phone numbers, addresses, etc. on MySpace.

You've got to let your children grow. If you don't, they will in spite of you rather than because of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted