1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Myspace debate revisited......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jul 29, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

zag, You hysterically posted how you won't let your kids have myspace pages. And I pointed out in multiple posts that most teenagers have pages on social-networking sites, it is a perfectly healthy activity for a kid, rarely does a kid post a name or a phone number on those pages, crimes are not being committed against kids in any great numbers because of those sites and letting your kid have a page on myspace is no more dangerous than letting your kids leave the house to go to the mall or go to school. It's safer, in fact.

Don't let your kids have myspace pages. Don't let them out of the house. Dress them in burkas for all anyone cares. Just give it a rest already.

Poor kids, though--for every reason people have seen on this board about who their dad is.

2. More than 100 million people have myspace pages. Grandmothers have them. When I was a preps writer I would go to myspace to see if an athlete I was about to interview had a page, in order to find out something about them. I'd guess that 90 percent of the time, the athlete had a myspace page, had pictures up, etc.

So not to completely resurrect an argument from a couple months ago, but saying that Stokke invited it herself by having a page and posting pictures ... sorry, doesn't wash. If that was the case, we would have about a million situations like the one involving Allison Stokke.

And by the way, more and more people are setting their profiles to private. It's usually an easy fix to stopping online predators, as long as the person is careful about the type of message he/she responds to.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You argued that the girl was at fault because she put up pictures. None of the pictures came from her MySpace account. This is a fact.

As to the father... well, he's looking for legal loopholes based on the pictures generated from the school's website.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A yearbook can make a kid a target for pervs. A newspaper article for the honor roll can make a kid a target for pervs. Being in a park can make a kid a target for pervs. Existing and breathing can make a kid a target for pervs.

Obvious solution: Kill your kid before a perv gets to him or her.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't give him any ideas, Dooley.

6. Rolling Stone had a great article this week about the psychopath computer geeks who run the Dateline operation from the attic of the houses they use. Complete idiots. Unreal that law enforcement is outsourcing justice to these people.

And it made a great point - all this hysteria over Internet stalking is giving people a false sense of security about the people around them every day, where 90 percent or more of the sexual abuse comes from.

That being said, you have to be cautious. There was a tremendous narrative series in an Arkansas paper a few years back about a girl who was murdered by a chat room stalker.

7. dooley_womack1

And that's the point. You have to educate your children on how to be safe online, and how to be safe in real life. It's up to parents. It's not up to society to remove all possible (no matter how remotely possible) dangers.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

How very Swiftian of you, dools.

9. dooley_womack1

Merely a modest proposal.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Pass the ketchup.

11. dooley_womack1

BTW, have you looked at them today?