1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "My Pet Goat" kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bush had seen documents talking about this as a possibility.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bush... ZERO intellectual curiosity.

How on earth could you have not wanted to SEE what the fuck was going on.

Is politely and calmly telling a class you have to go to the bathroom that hard to come up with.

It presaged a lot about his presidency.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The most (only) introspective post you have ever contributed.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bull-fucking-shit.

The right-wing assholes derisively called Kerry a flip-flopper for admitting as much.

Fucking hypocrites.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Afghanistan was the ball.

Never a question.

Bush took us off the ball to line his buddies' bank accounts and to avenge his father's failure.

Who here actually believed that Iraq was the place to send even a single platoon?

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Damn. What I meant in the initial post here was that I simply can't fathom how three planes can go off the grid at basically the same time, one of those planes strike the WTC, and then 20 minutes go by without anyone -- and I'm not talking about only the president here -- thinking that it's a terrorist attack.

That's my damn question. That should be everyone's question. Not only were these planes hijacked and taken off course -- an act which every air traffic controller working noted, but the terrorists also made announcements on every flight which were mistakenly broadcast back to the ground.

SO HOW DID WE NOT KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING?

And let me just say that the fact that Card leaned over and said, "We're under attack," should have prompted a bit more reaction from our leader. I'm sorry. It just should have. He didn't lean over and say, "We've had two plane crashes." He basically told our president that the country he's responsible for was currently under attack. And the guy sat there.

I have no problem with people criticizing him for that inaction. I wasn't expecting him to get up and go running to NYC so he could start catching the people who were jumping out of those windows. But do something. Stand up, calmly walk out and get more info. Hell, ask Card what the hell he's talking about. Maybe it's the reporter in me, but if some guy I trust leans over and tells me the country's under attack, I'm gonna want a little more info and I'm gonna want it right then.

The bottom line, though, is that this incident here, when compared to all the other bullshit this guy and his crooked ass administration have pulled, is nothing but a minor blemish. It doesn't indicate some great disconnect or a hidden character flaw. It just shows the guy wasn't and isn't cut out to be president. But then, he's more than proved that every day that he's been in office.

7. This from the man who can't get a president's dick out of his mind.
    The evidence is on videotape.
    I'm happy as a clam, by the way.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The thing that blew me away about the planes dropping off of radar is that they were in different ATC zones when the transponders were turned off which meant that only certain segments of the ATC network knew about certain planes.

One of the planes was in the Indianapolis ATC zone when it went off radar. The controllers in that zone were looking for the plane to the west of where it was last seen instead of east, which is the direction it turned after the transponder was switched off. There was a lot of confusion on the ground even before the first plane hit the first tower.

I'd be interested to hear from somebody with knowledge of how the ATC system worked back then how you would go about locating plane that switched its transponder off. Does it still show up on radar as unmarked? Or does it disappear completely? And if it does disappear completely, how do you find it again?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Article I read said that it would appear to the radar systems as a green dot, but with all the traffic would be hard to pinpoint.

Thought, the airlines had their own ways of tracking the planes and new where they were. Guess that was a secret.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Other than the Zapruder film, has any other shred of presidential video been analyzed as extensively as the Pet Goat Minutes?

He sat, he read, he made that 'Either There's A Live Porcupine Crawling Up My Ass or We're At War' face. A nation grieved, Michael Moore cleared his calendar.

Much better use for this thread, on a sad and angry day when we don't need any more sadness and anger, trust me, you'll feel better:

What's the actual plot for My Pet Goat? We can have a contest. I'm going with this:

There was this goat. Nothing good ever happened to the goat, he was just, you know, a goat.

Actually, he was a pet goat. There was this old couple, Edna and Lou, and Edna wanted a kid but Lou didn't. So for her birthday he got her a kid goat. Tied a big red bow around it's skinny neck, with a card that read, 'Now you have a kid.'

So she shot him.

Lifetime gave her a movie deal. Ultra-Slim made her a spokeswoman ('I lost 230 ugly pounds in a day when I buried my husband, but with Ultra-Slim, you can do it too!). The goat was one of Barbara Walters 10 Most Fascinating Kids.

Edna wrote a book. Even the president read it.

The end.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well Said 21 - I am just stunned that on this day of reflection that the anti Bush crowd would want to bother getting into another inane political debate.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry for my part in spoiling your day of reflection, Boomer.

Somewhere, Dick Vermeil is crying.

Draft saved Draft deleted