1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "My Pet Goat" kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Sep 11, 2006.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

[Ignoring own advice about political threads]

Without getting into the good or bad of it, those seven minutes in the classroom are fascinating because they represent an extremely rare look at Bush as he is without handlers and a script.

You can choose to believe he did great, you can choose to believe he choked (without thinking that not choking would have changed any events that day), but it's a unique glimpse into the man.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Is it wrong that I think the My Pet Goat Kids would be a great name for an emo band?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Personally, I'd prefer the name "Conservatives Got My Goat."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some of the most liberal people I know wanted to turn the Middle East into a parking lot on 9/11...

Would it have been the right move?

It's a very real reaction. I think some of the people here expected Bush to stand up, say, "Children, we're under attack and I must protect this country..." like out of some Independence Day type movie...

I'm not a huge fan of the president, but I thought his initial reactions on 9/11 were fine...

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Agreed.

"Today, we declare, our dependence! On foreign oil!"

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm one of the more left-wing members of the board, and I'll admit that I really don't have any issues with Bush's initial response to the attacks.

He's done more than enough shit since then to dislike him for.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Here's the complete "My Pet Goat" video, in all it's Zapruder-like glory.

Have at it, folks.

8. What initial reactions?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, he went live (I was listening with my neighbors on a radio) when he was informed that a second plane had hit the south tower and told the American people that there had been a terrorist attack. And he vowed that those responsible would be held to account. Not sure what more the president could have said or done. If you remember, it was an education event and he announced that Rod Paige would be speaking instead of him because he had to fly back to Washington. He also said "the folks" who had done it would be held responsible, which struck me as a bad choice of word at the time. It may not have been the most eloquent statement, but it seemed reasonable to me (and most people) at the time. I am sure a better president (the one you were expecting at that very moment) would have been in his Superman costume already and he'd have been spinning the earth backward really fast to reverse the damage. But alas, the one we had was only human.

10. A better president -- like, say, the President George W. Bush in the official WH Showtime docudrama of the event. They cleared the script. Tell me why -- would have walked calmly out of the classroom and gotten his ass back to Washington. Look, has he screwed up more royally and bloodily in the days since? Absolutely. But this "nobody else could/would have done anything differently" is a pretty hefty benefit of the doubt for me.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fenian, if what you wrote about Giuliani was praise, remind me never to seek any from you because that was awfully faint and a little damning, too.

12. I said he was the closest thing we had to a national leader for 12 hours. I said he was brave and that being there was the best thing he could do.
    I don't want him as president for reasons that have little to do with his actions on 9/11.

Draft saved Draft deleted