1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "My Pet Goat" kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Sep 11, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Despite all exhortations to keep this friendly, we've gone right over that. Thanks people.

2. Oh, god. The first plane is irrelevant, although there was a brief, fragile lie about who saw what when, that's gone down the memory hole.
    According to Andy Card, who comes wandering into frame during this famous moment, he told the president, "America is under attack." He didn't say anything about private planes or accidents. At that moment, the President Clock starts ticking. At least within three minutes, the president of the United States gets up, excuses himself, and goes off to be president again.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And maybe that is indeed the case Fenian. But if we're going to quibble over three minutes that very likely wouldn't have made any difference anyway, then we're right back to arguing over the inconsequential.

I thought the story was a unique angle on a topic that's been written about quite a bit. But really, what more could Bush have done, people? Are there any of us that TRULY believe once the planes had been hijacked, there was a whole lot more that he could have done other than shoot them down (assuming we'd actually had time)?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

American Airlines new it was their jet. NORAD new Flight 11 was hijacked before it hit the towers.

Maybe this is not Bush's fault, but if a plane is hijacked and I am the president, I would like a phone call ASAP.

My point is that when a plane of some sort hits the World Trade Center, you blow off the elementary school kids and try to figure out what is going on.

5. Maybe he wasn't wearing his Superman outfit under his suit that day.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Look, Junkie, I don't hate the guy. I think he a terrible president, though.

And I don't think -- in hindsight -- that anything would have turned out better if he had acted instantly.

But on that day, someone needed to be in charge. The military didn't even have a clue where to send their jets, and they sure weren't getting any help from White House.

7. No, alley. We're not quibbling about three minutes. I gave him the benefit of a doubt, but he should have been out of there immediately. LBJ didn't go through with his speech in Dallas. FDR didn't wait to finish breakfast on 12/7/41.
    You go do the job that you were allegedly elected to do. You get the hell out of the classroom and back to Washington. Immediately.. It's interesting that, when the first 9/11 docu-fakery was done, with the full cooperation of the WH, the fictional GWB did exactly that. Somebody's conscience was ringing.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's been at the cleaners for about six years.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This criticism of Bush always struck me as ridiculous and unfair. He didn't have full info yet. And he was clearly shaken. Would it have been great if he had turned into Winston Churchill at that moment? Yes! How many people would have, though? And what could he have done at that moment anyhow, not even knowing yet if it was terorrism or not?

Ace, You are being ridiculously unfair. Up until the second plane came gliding in from the south, we weren't thinking terrorism (we, as in people who actually watched it unfold). We thought it had been an accident. I guess we were all idiots. Because for 15, 20 minutes (can't remember how long it was) I stood on my roof and watched the north tower burn, and I don't remember thinking terrorism. We had a radio and were listening to the early reports. They weren't calling it terrorism. I vividly remember someone saying the Empire State Building had been hit accidentally by a plane in the 30s or 40s. I also vividly remember it clicking in my head that it was terrorism (and the sinking feeling that went with it), right after the second building got hit.

Clearly if you look at the chronology, our government institutions were unprepared to deal with this. THEY didn't know what to make of it at first. What kind of "intelligence reports" do you think Bush was getting? They'd have had to have had a clue about what was going on to inform him. If anyone knew what was going on, we would have reacted way better! We were way more taken off guard by this than you care to remember.

It wasn't until well after the second plane hit the south tower that they even grounded flights from taking off in the U.S. It wasn't until significantly after that--when the Pentagon got hit (half hour, 45 minutes later?)--that they even scrambled jets to provide air cover over NYC and D.C. By then, they knew that another plane had been hijacked and was in the air heading toward D.C. That was also WELL after (again, 45 minutes, an hour?) the whole "My Pet Goat" thing. All he knew at the time of "My Pet Goat" was that the north tower had been hit by a plane. By the time they were reacting--and scrambling jets--Bush was going on national TV to announce that we were under a terrorist attack.

He may not be a decent president, but his reaction when he first heard that one of the towers had been hit is certainly not evidence of it.

10. His first reaction was no reaction.
    So was his second.
    And his third.
    His 15th reaction was to launch a war against a country that had nothing to do with 9/11.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've never bought the "so the kids in the classroom wouldn't panic" justification. You get up from your chair after maybe half a minute of thinking after being told "America is under attack," you say you're sorry but something has come up, and you leave. The children would have been no more traumatized by that then they were as soon as they heard what happened and later saw the coverage on TV.

12. This thread proves how idiotic the sufferers of Bush Derangement Syndrome have become.

Unfortunately, institutionalization isn't an acceptable treatment anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted