1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The My Generation of your generation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Christopher McCandless, Oct 28, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As a son of midwestern catholic and lutheran elders, all I can say is: That was a fairly impressive display of passive aggression, pallister. ;)

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's tough to argue with a song so aptly named for the year 2000.

3. digger

digger New Member

I hate you for even making me listen to 1 second of that.

Don Henley must die.

4. digger

digger New Member

By the way, I went back to that again to see how much I could endure (I'm in a weird mood tonight) and I watched a version by a band called the ataris that was about 1,000 times better. Now, I'm going to listen to some more stuff by the ataris. So I have you to thank for that. (I had never heard of them before).

5. digger

digger New Member

Ok,

The ataris weren't so great, actually. They weren't bad either, just kind of ... typical. But their version of boys of summer was still 1,000 times better than don henley's.

They do have a pretty cool-named song called "San Dimas High School Football Rules''.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The easy solution to this problem lies in the liner notes to Vs., in which it (falsely) says the lyrics are "get out of my lucky face." Pearl Jam always seemed to pull this shit and somehow avoided the explicit lyrics tags.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I grew up in the '80s. Where's the love for "We are the World" {ducking bricks}.

What's sadder is the youth of today. What song from the 00s decade will they be able to claim as their own. All I hear are the same 10 songs on the radio over and over again, and spend more time flipping from station to station.

8. "My Generation" wasn't the "My Generation" of my generation.
    Not in the US, anyway.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What was?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is the answer "Jesus?"

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I consider the "song of your generation" to be the song that seemed to mean the most to people during your senior year of high school, the year you THINK you quit being a kid and start thinking about grown-up things. Not necessarily the biggest hit at all, just the song people seemed to think meant something.

For me, it was "Born to Run." It was really the soundtrack of our senior year.

Funny thing was, it was actually released (in a preliminary mix version) to some album-rock stations a year ahead of its official release, so every few weeks or so you'd hear a snippet of it on the radio, maybe late at night, and think, "what the hell was that??" Then, in August 1975, it hit the mainstream airwaves, and it was off and running.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fuck everyone who associates The Ataris with only that cover song. They were around six years and made five albums before its release on "So Long, Astoria." It's probably their worst song on an otherwise pretty strong album. It got them a lot of exposure, which was good for them -- to a degree ... of course the song isn't a good one, anyway (original or cover) -- but that's all it did. The Ataris are a much, much better band than that song indicates.

And Don Henley blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted